Why become a member? ×

EA CXL 112 -On Hold atm...

Randy_Marsh

I have for sale my EA CXL -112. Great cab construction and really is built like a rock, but is light enough to lift with one hand. Great reviews about them and EA products in general. However mine is a little under the weather shall we say

As I've stated in a thread in the amps and cabs bit, i managed to blow the driver :) not my brightest move...

So it's up to you want you want to do with it. EA have offered their advice and said to fit the 12" Wizzy speaker which would cost around £80ish pounds plus postage and have given me full directions on how to fit it as a few other customers have done this. Or you could just put whatever driver you want into it.

Price-wise they seem to go for £325-£300 without any problems, so factor in the cost of a new driver being around £100 ideally i'd like £200 for this

Any questions drop me a PM. Get some pictures up this weekend but the cab is in great condition

Edited by Randy_Marsh

When i got quoted for a replacement Wizzy driver a few months ago it was much more expensive, thats for the 10" version too. The price was $231.08 with a 20% discount from EA.
After that you have to pay shipping from USA unless you can get it in the UK.

The price i got quoted for the recone kit was $80, plus shipping again from USA. Then there would be the actual repair bill as i was told (by members on here) that it's not an easy job and needs to be done by a professional.

Don't mean to undermine the seller or the thread (i'll delete any of this on request if you think it's inappropriate btw), i'd just double check with EA that they haven't got the prices of drivers and recone kits mixed up.

FWIW when i fixed my CXL i just used a compatible neo driver, cheapest option and made the cab a fraction of the weight. Might be an idea to contact EA regarding readily available suitable drivers. I used a Deltalite, the original drivers are custom Eminence units apparently.

EDIT: That's for the 10" driver /\ /\ /\, no idea what will be suitable for this cab.

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1172181' date='Mar 22 2011, 03:14 PM']When i got quoted for a replacement Wizzy driver a few months ago it was much more expensive, thats for the 10" version too. The price was $231.08 with a 20% discount from EA.
After that you have to pay shipping from USA unless you can get it in the UK.

The price i got quoted for the recone kit was $80, plus shipping again from USA. Then there would be the actual repair bill as i was told (by members on here) that it's not an easy job and needs to be done by a professional.

Don't mean to undermine the seller or the thread (i'll delete any of this on request if you think it's inappropriate btw), i'd just double check with EA that they haven't got the prices of drivers and recone kits mixed up.

FWIW when i fixed my CXL i just used a compatible neo driver, cheapest option and made the cab a fraction of the weight. Might be an idea to contact EA regarding readily available suitable drivers. I used a Deltalite, the original drivers are custom Eminence units apparently.

EDIT: That's for the 10" driver /\ /\ /\, no idea what will be suitable for this cab.[/quote]

Hey steve, no problems with having this here. This is the reply i got from John at EA

[quote]Several users have installed a Wizzy12 driver and are quite satisfied. The Retail price for a Wizzy12 is $170.40 but we offer a 20% discount plus you pay for shipping[/quote]

I don't know if i've worked this out right, but I got that as they're normally $170.40 then take 20% off that which would be $136 which converts to £83. Correct me if i'm getting that wrong. I have no idea what shipping would be at the minute.

Finally got a price back for a recone kit from expertelectronics and they say
[quote]I would guess around $75.00, I haven't done that model yet so I don't have an exact price. Marvin @ Expert Electronics[/quote]

This was also a custom eminence so I guess eminence 12" drivers would do the job. Like I said, you don't have to go for the Wizzy....

[quote name='plankspanker' post='1171425' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:09 PM']£200 does seem a little steep for what is actually an empty cab but have a bump on me.[/quote]

Ok I'll keep that in mind, it is a very high quality top end cab though. I'll have a think about pricing

That's quite a bit less than they wanted to charge me for the 10" version! Dunno what to make of it really, it would have made me consider getting the Whizzy driver as i paid about £80 for the Eminence including shipping. Ah well, suppose it doesn't matter now!

I would add that although it might seem a lot for an empty box, that same empty box with a speaker in fetches a decent amount of money. These were very expensive when new and still command high prices, the only issue here is the availability of the original proprietary driver
These cabs are extremely well made too, i was very impressed when i looked inside my EA cab, absolutely top end construction.

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1172807' date='Mar 23 2011, 12:17 AM']I would add that although it might seem a lot for an empty box, that same empty box with a speaker in fetches a decent amount of money. These were very expensive when new and still command high prices, the only issue here is the availability of the original proprietary driver
These cabs are extremely well made too, i was very impressed when i looked inside my EA cab, absolutely top end construction.[/quote]

Cheers Steve. Paul (BigThumb) who I bought this off mentioned how well made they are as well. I'll see what John from EA says regards other replacements for reference for other B/Cers

[quote name='TWILITEZONE' post='1172822' date='Mar 23 2011, 12:42 AM']if the driver is coming from U.S., i suspect there will be import duty, postage of course and then the dreaded VAT on the whole lot. i bought a fretfile from stewmac for £29 which cost me nearly £50 in the end.[/quote]

Aye :) I was just quoted a price for the driver. No idea how much it'd cost all in mate.

Just been thinking about this and I suspect a DeltaLite II 2512 could work well, as the Qts and Vas are high which gives a slightly annoying bump in a ported cab but will stop it sounding too thin in a TL cab. Shipping a driver from the USA will be pricey. Local reconing is another option and that would allow you to keep the tweeter, if they have a close enough cone/voicecoil match.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1173004' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:07 AM']Just been thinking about this and I suspect a DeltaLite II 2512 could work well, as the Qts and Vas are high which gives a slightly annoying bump in a ported cab but will stop it sounding too thin in a TL cab. Shipping a driver from the USA will be pricey. Local reconing is another option and that would allow you to keep the tweeter, if they have a close enough cone/voicecoil match.[/quote]

Blue Aran currently have the Deltalite on sale too, £65 down from £99:
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2512&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMI...semode=category[/url]
Could be a cheap option to get a nice, high end lightweight cab.

I used the 10" Deltalite in my CXL110, sounds excellent. I got the idea from this TBer who used the same driver:
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/ft-bag-end-s15d-ea-cxl-110-a-680423/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/ft-bag-...l-110-a-680423/[/url]

[quote name='TWILITEZONE' post='1173122' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:45 AM']a bit more gloom, the recommended drivers, while having excellent performance characteristics, are 8R nominal. optimum impedance for single driver use is 4R.[/quote]

The vast majority of bass amps from the last decade or so can drive any of these 8 ohms drivers to full volume thus a 4 ohm driver is unlikely to be advantageous (especially as many 4 ohm variants are based on the original 8 ohm model and thus less well optimised than if the motor was a clean sheet design).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1176301' date='Mar 25 2011, 06:23 PM']The vast majority of bass amps from the last decade or so can drive any of these 8 ohms drivers to full volume thus a 4 ohm driver is unlikely to be advantageous (especially as many 4 ohm variants are based on the original 8 ohm model and thus less well optimised than if the motor was a clean sheet design).[/quote]

Thanks for clearing up that Mr. Claber.