Why become a member? ×

Live Sequencing?

Dave Vader

I used to do this a fair bit, its more scary than a full live band, as there is no room for error, and you don't have the ability to go "once more round"

I remember one song had an acoustic guitar intro, which I played, I had a click track in my ear, before the drums and keys came in, I was so worried if I was a beat to late or something

Was only small gigs, not sure why we put ourselves through it now

Edited by lojo

[quote name='thebrig' post='1163348' date='Mar 15 2011, 05:10 PM']Just wondering!

If the band have asked you to do the sequencing, how come you have to fork out for the gear, why don't they [i][b]all [/b][/i]chip in?[/quote]

Well, the actual paying for it hasn't been discussed yet. But I wanted to show them how hard it would be before we all fork out for something we possibly can't use.
If it comes to it, I shall demand an extra share in all gig moneys, as I will have effectively replaced the keys player. This will hopefully also cause them to change their minds, and get me out of a long and tedious, and mostly thankless task. :)

[quote name='algmusic' post='1163931' date='Mar 16 2011, 12:52 AM']Sorry mate, I have to disargee. Its annoys me when drummers use playing in 'groovey' can't be done do a click. You put steve gadd to a click and it still sounds amazing. It's the players ability to be able to make the click feel good. If i'm playing to a click I use in-ears, as it helps you to lock into the click, but your timing comes from being a good player and practicing playing to a click in a relaxed way. At the beginning, I used to have my click very loud, now it's just like one of the other instruments in my mix, like walking down the road with a friend. You don't chase, you just move along with it. The players around you start to realise they need to need to be more sensitive to time and lock into the drums.. which is a miracle for guitarists and singers.. In the long run the band benefits from it. I'e played gigs to clicks and the band didn't the difference to the ones that I used it from the ones I didn't and that's how it should be.[/quote]

I agree with all this, after years of playing shows and stuff to clicks, it all becomes second nature.....
Even with the click, some musicians play in front, behind, on it etc... retaining a natural live feel.
The only thing is that.....it don't speed up or drag - just how i like it.. :)

If you do not want to mess with Laptops etc.
Just record the stuff into a DAW, then bounce it down to Mini Disc or MP3 etc - It will be the cheapest way.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1164166' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:29 AM']I agree with all this, after years of playing shows and stuff to clicks, it all becomes second nature.....
Even with the click, some musicians play in front, behind, on it etc... retaining a natural live feel.
The only thing is that.....it don't speed up or drag - just how i like it.. :)

If you do not want to mess with Laptops etc.
Just record the stuff into a DAW, then bounce it down to Mini Disc or MP3 etc - It will be the cheapest way.

Garry[/quote]

I was in a covers band that did this.. R was the click L was the music... bounced to the iPod