Why become a member? ×

Chords

davidmpires

Hi

I've been taking a special interest in playing chords, but I find that I struggle with the fingerings (don't even start :) ), for example if I play A on the 17th fret of the E string along with its octave and the try to include the minor 3rd on the G string I struggle big time, find it hard to keep the sound consistent and it starts to hurt after a short while.

Also I tried to find other chords positions and the only thing I find are triads and arpeggios but not the actual chord positions.

Can anyone help?

In the situation you mention,I'd be more likely to just play a double stop of A and C without the octave A. You can either
play it close voiced or you can split it and play it as a 10th. You'll still get the flavour of it being A minor without the extra
A.
As far as other chords go,if you know the notes or intervals it's pretty easy to work out chord voicings. If you take a
simple C major chord,the notes are C,E,and G,so you can (hopefully) easily find that over the top three strings.
If you move on to 7 chords,you can often leave out the 5th and still define the chord just by playing 1,3,7. You can also
raise the 3rd up an octave so you are playing 1,7,10, which can give a fuller sound to the chord.

Initially,I'd play the chords as just a double stop as either a 3rd or a 10th. You can drop some notes if all they are doing is doubling another note. If you want a third note,maybe try to add the fifth(although it might not be essential).
On piano it is easy to play denser chords,but on bass you need to be more economical,and strip it down to the essential notes.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1163076' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:53 PM']On piano it is easy to play denser chords,but on bass you need to be more economical,and strip it down to the essential notes.[/quote]

Long live the recession...... :)

Cool, I'll have another go and see how it sounds stripped down...

I didn't know the song, so just had a quick look on Youtube.
If it's [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Zs7XS3XUo"]this version,[/url] you seem to have the wrong chords.

A - C#m/G# - F#m - D

The 2nd chord (C#m) is 2nd inversion with G# on bass

Pretty easy to relate to bass. Basically, play as is. Starting A on 12 fret.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1163247' date='Mar 15 2011, 03:58 PM']I didn't know the song, so just had a quick look on Youtube.
If it's [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Zs7XS3XUo"]this version,[/url] you seem to have the wrong chords.

A - C#m/G# - F#m - D

The 2nd chord (C#m) is 2nd inversion with G# on bass

Pretty easy to relate to bass. Basically, play as is. Starting A on 12 fret.[/quote]

I thought it was Ab. Sorry what you mean play as is? Just strech to reach the minor 3rd instead of the 10th?

[quote name='davidmpires' post='1163256' date='Mar 15 2011, 04:07 PM']Just strech to reach the minor 3rd instead of the 10th?[/quote]
Yes, (it is a Major 3rd though)
Try this, starting A on 12th fret:

A C# E C# 4X

G# C# E C# 4X

F# C# F#(8va) C# 4X

10th fret D D(8va) F# D(8va) 1X

A D F# D 3X

Hope this makes sense. Could really do with the ability to add chord diagrams or notation to a post :)