Why become a member? ×

New bass video + solo album preview

Captain Bass

Hey Andy

Great stuff man - you've got a lot of sh*t together here and it's really impressive for a first effort - if I had to criticise (only in a friendly way that is) there is a danger of this kind of slap-n-tap stuff sounding a bit repetitive on each track and harmonically using open strings can also tie things into sounding like they are in similar keys etc. Technically however you are totally on it and the producion, bass tone and performances are first rate - I know you're more of a funk-rock into Manring style player but a little fingerstyle and the odd melody line would be nice too. I'm assuming the drums are live or are they cleverly programmed? I'd be interested to know - and it was nice to hear some other instruments coming in on the album tracks too.

But seriously well done and I hope you keep developing - you've made great leaps here.

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='1161394' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:13 AM']Hey Andy

Great stuff man - you've got a lot of sh*t together here and it's really impressive for a first effort - if I had to criticise (only in a friendly way that is) there is a danger of this kind of slap-n-tap stuff sounding a bit repetitive on each track and harmonically using open strings can also tie things into sounding like they are in similar keys etc. Technically however you are totally on it and the producion, bass tone and performances are first rate - I know you're more of a funk-rock into Manring style player but a little fingerstyle and the odd melody line would be nice too. I'm assuming the drums are live or are they cleverly programmed? I'd be interested to know - and it was nice to hear some other instruments coming in on the album tracks too.

But seriously well done and I hope you keep developing - you've made great leaps here.

Mike[/quote]

Hey Mike,

Thankyou for your comments. The style of playing I replicate is influenced by the 'open playing' techniques of new age acoustic guitar players like 'Andy Mckee' and 'Antoine Dufour' but it is not present throughout the entire album. I understand it can sound repetive but I do use a few different tunings so there are changes. There is some fingerstyle tracks and a lot of melody lines (i feel) in the mix, but I put my hands up and say there may not be enough. I don't practice finger style as much as I should. This is my first venture into the solo bass album realm, so I am not expecting to please everyone.

The drums are in fact a combination of live and programmed, like a lot of popular rock/pop music these days which rely heavily on drum replacement plugins like Drumagog. There are a couple of tracks with just programmed drums, painstakingly building beats by entering each midi note beat for beat and then varying individual velocity hits, then mixing and blending fx/sends - LONG!

So yeh thanks for the kind words and the constructive feedback mate, I have spent just over 1 year on this album, and it has been pretty much a full time effort.

Now I am looking forward to finally playing my PS3 and not feeling guilty that I should be working on my music. I just bought a few games from ebay with some of the money I have made from the album, as a kind of reward to myself, I was gonna spend the money on more bass/studio gear but I thought I need a break from it.

I would be really interested to hear your bass album dude!

ALBUM SWAP!!! :) PM me!

Cheers,
Andy

Cool Andy - you've really done a great job, I can hear the amount of time and effort that's gone into this - not just on the playing side either - I'll PM you later when I'm home - I hope this is a success, get out there and push it - you've got a great sound and style, it'll only get better with time. But like I say, it's impressive stuff.

I'll be in touch :)

Cheers

Mike

Hey Andy,
Hats off to you mate! I know how difficult it is to compose on bass and try to stay away from cliches or passages that are solely technique. I think you manage to pull it off and I really dig the harder prog rock edge you take with a lot of things where the riff is the main thing. For me, heavy riffs are as good as and equal to ur typical funk grooves.
I like your variation in tone as well, often the chorus bass thing can sound 80's but you manage to keep it fresh sounding.
Keep it up mate, I really think you would make the perfect sideman for someone like vai or in a band like mudvayne/meshuggah :)
Cheers!
Craig

• 1 month later...

CB, this usually isn't my thing and if I'm totally honest I'm not the greatest fan of the solo bass playing thing but I think you've managed to develop a sound and technique that is actually incredibly unique and more importantly, very accessible to listen to. I'm really impressed and I'll definitely keep an eye out for you.

Superb playing, and I'm not usually someone who gets excited by slapping 'n' tapping. But I do like this!

"TURRICAN" is my favourite. Fantastic groove and those slides you put in are great, as others have mentioned.

Puts my chops to shame, for sure! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='risingson' post='1217694' date='May 2 2011, 04:14 PM']CB, this usually isn't my thing and if I'm totally honest I'm not the greatest fan of the solo bass playing thing but I think you've managed to develop a sound and technique that is actually incredibly unique and more importantly, very accessible to listen to. I'm really impressed and I'll definitely keep an eye out for you.[/quote]
Thankyou very much for your comment!

When I first set out to create some solo peices my main focus was always to keep things as accessible as I could.
Now with this album complete I can safely say that accessible is definately easier said then done (I scrapped A LOT of material)

I am learning everyday and evolving with this, the same way I am picking up new skills for bass guitar, composing and music production.
I just wish somedays I had more musical enthusiasm/energy, as there is nothing worse then forcing creativity.