Why become a member? ×

email notifications

Ou7shined

I've noticed over the years that (now and again) some threads that I was subscribed to didn't automatically notify me of new posts despite the subscription. But it was only occasionally - lately it's gotten a lot worse. I estimate up to a 1/4 of my subscribed threads aren't notifying me.

It's got to the point now that I've started keeping shortcuts to "important" (:)) threads on my desktop so I can check them manually. :)

Is this happening to anyone else?

Yeah, occasionally. I've noticed that it seems to happen when someone has posted a reply to the thread at around the same time as I click the link in the notification email. But that may just be coincidence. I haven't been so bothered by it that I've felt the need to collect and analyse data. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1156357' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:50 AM']Also, just because a thread has "forgotten" my subscription once, it doesn't seem to necessarily mean that it's forgotten it for all time. Quite often, a visit to BC resets the notification-love from these errant threads and they behave again.[/quote]
Yeah that's true but days may pass before it finally remembers me - by which time the topic has gone cold.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1156368' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:55 AM']I can't see any common denominators with mine, it all seems quite random.[/quote]
What about t'other side? Happens to me with Finnbass too. Very rarely, but it definitely happens.

I suspect some cookie-based evils or Firefox plugins creating havoc or summat.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1156381' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:02 AM']How can the cookies on your machine affect the notifications coming from a website directly to you email?[/quote]
No idea! Honestly, this is way beyond my technical ken. I only come on the internet for amusing pictures of cats and to send chain emails to relatives. :)

But it could be something to do with BC not realising you've made the visit (and if it thinks you haven't visited since the last notification, it won't send you a fresh one for the next reply)... which could maybe be cookie-related... maybe?

Oh, and the irony... I didn't get a notification of your reply this time. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1156368' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:55 AM']Oi mods why the shift to this deserted wasteland where no one will see it? :)
I'm not reporting a problem. I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this phenomena.

Cheers BE.
I can't see any common denominators with mine, it all seems quite random.[/quote]
Just PM'd you bud…

Just making sure it gets looked at ASAP and not lost amongst the 900,000 posts that will appear in Off Topic today.

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1156394' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:11 AM']Just PM'd you bud…

Just making sure it gets looked at ASAP and not lost amongst the 900,000 posts that will appear in Off Topic today.

Shep[/quote]
Haha - PM'd back.
Thanks but I just wanted to find out the scale of the issue (if any) before reporting it as such.

Yes, I am on a lot :) but I don't have BC pages open all day long. Besides I do get notifications when I'm online (& off).

I've just reviewed all my post from today (after my BB went down for most of the evening) and about half of them that I'm subscribed to haven't notified me of any new posts at all.

I just wonder how much I've missed out on in the past because of this - or worse, how many times have I appeared to have rudely ignored someone because I've not been notified of a reply.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1163936' date='Mar 16 2011, 01:04 AM']Yes, I am on a lot :) but I don't have BC pages open all day long. Besides I do get notifications when I'm online (& off).

I've just reviewed all my post from today (after my BB went down for most of the evening) and about half of them that I'm subscribed to haven't notified me of any new posts at all.

I just wonder how much I've missed out on in the past because of this - or worse, how many times have I appeared to have rudely ignored someone because I've not been notified of a reply.[/quote]

I have the same problem. I don't get updated for a quite a few of them either. and its tough to individually check them all. I hope there's a solution. :)

I get the reverse. I tend to get emails whenever someone posts in a subscribed thread, even though i haven't visited it since the last one came in.
I thought we were only supposed to get the one email until the next visit.

I also find that someday's i get a lot of notifications come through at once, sometimes ages after a post has been made.