Why become a member? ×

Squire Jazz... bit pricy.

TomKent

It's past selling now, but this caught my eye.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squier-Jazz-Bass-made-mexico-1997-/330536282054?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf57f67c6#ht_4633wt_1141"]eBay[/url]

Fairly certain the volume knobs are off a Strat too.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1156182' date='Mar 10 2011, 07:41 AM']Squiers were made in Mexico,the Jazz basses usually had a one piece scratch plate with Strat type knobs.[/quote]

Mine's a Mex and it's got normal knobs.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1156700' date='Mar 10 2011, 02:59 PM']Usually does'nt mean always. :)[/quote]

I know, just saying. :)

Just thought it was a bit pricy. My 1995 original Mex strat isn't even worth £300 at the moment. In MINT condition. :lol:

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1156182' date='Mar 10 2011, 07:41 AM']Squiers were made in Mexico,the Jazz basses usually had a one piece scratch plate with Strat type knobs.[/quote]

[quote name='TomKent' post='1156686' date='Mar 10 2011, 02:47 PM']Mine's a Mex and it's got normal knobs.[/quote]

Aren't squiers made in Indonesia or something?

For a short time Squiers were made in Mexico with US and Mexican parts to use up old stock and on-the-shelf parts.

There have been some changes to the whole Squier line a few times - from bottom-feeder gear to some really righteous instruments that can hold their own against units much more expensive - to the Squiers of today that are recapturing the market whilst the high-dollar Fenders languish in stores and warehouses in this poor economic situation.

It's a very good strategy to keep your best talent still working even if it's on lower-lined basses and guitars.

If you get rid of the less qualified workers and keep the better almost-luthiers and artisans employed, should the economy ever recover then your people can go right back to building the more expensive gear and they can either rehire the laid-off talent or hire a whole new group of worker bees.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1160130' date='Mar 13 2011, 07:05 AM']For a short time Squiers were made in Mexico with US and Mexican parts to use up old stock and on-the-shelf parts.

There have been some changes to the whole Squier line a few times - from bottom-feeder gear to some really righteous instruments that can hold their own against units much more expensive - to the Squiers of today that are recapturing the market whilst the high-dollar Fenders languish in stores and warehouses in this poor economic situation.

It's a very good strategy to keep your best talent still working even if it's on lower-lined basses and guitars.

If you get rid of the less qualified workers and keep the better almost-luthiers and artisans employed, should the economy ever recover then your people can go right back to building the more expensive gear and they can either rehire the laid-off talent or hire a whole new group of worker bees.[/quote]

That's a very nice approach to it all. I see from your avatar that you have one too... The VM J Bass? How do like it so far? I have a Squier fretless which is a dream to play but I'm not very satisfied with the Passive circuit or the pickups. Am looking to swap the pups and throw in a J-retro deluxe in there. Still apprehensive though. I kinda like having the jack where it is and not on the eside of the bass, which I probably will have to route and make if I do invest in the J-retro deluxe.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1160130' date='Mar 13 2011, 06:05 AM']For a short time Squiers were made in Mexico with US and Mexican parts to use up old stock and on-the-shelf parts.[/quote]

I have what I believe was one of those. Has Fender in solid black on the headstock and a previous owner has removed the tiny 'squier by fender' decal. I bought it as a wreck thinking it was a genuine Fender, and it's served me well over the years. I has a veneer rosewood board, and is really due a refret sometime soon.

[quote name='faiz0802' post='1160149' date='Mar 13 2011, 12:27 AM']That's a very nice approach to it all. I see from your avatar that you have one too... The VM J Bass? How do like it so far? I have a Squier fretless which is a dream to play but I'm not very satisfied with the Passive circuit or the pickups. Am looking to swap the pups and throw in a J-retro deluxe in there. Still apprehensive though. I kinda like having the jack where it is and not on the eside of the bass, which I probably will have to route and make if I do invest in the J-retro deluxe.[/quote]

I have a few Squiers.

1) The Squier Affinity P-Bass - the bottom feeder of the bass world - but it really is nice and I am in love with the ROTO77s on it and the extra capacitor I added top get it into Motown-land.

2) My VM-Jazz has had a lot of bling added to it - nothing electronic at all yet - but I have ordered a S/P DiMarzio stacked pot. ( [url="http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-250K-Custom-Taper-Split-Shaft-PushPull-Pot-?sku=364668"]http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/pro...Pot-?sku=364668[/url] 0 )

3) The VM-Jaguar has a small change - again nothing electrical or electronic, as I find these p'ups very hot and they are gonna stay right where they are.

Maybe instead of another hole in your bass, you'd consider a concentric stacked pot that only uses one of the holes for a dual purpose?

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1161032' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:02 PM']I have what I believe was one of those. Has Fender in solid black on the headstock and a previous owner has removed the tiny 'squier by fender' decal. I bought it as a wreck thinking it was a genuine Fender, and it's served me well over the years. I has a veneer rosewood board, and is really due a refret sometime soon.[/quote]

Hi AM,

is it really veneer?! How thick is the rosewood?

[quote name='faiz0802' post='1163703' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:04 PM']Oh, btw, My Squier fretless sez 'Crafted in Indonesia'.[/quote]

It seems that the MiI Squiers are really upper-deck right now.

The MiC and MiK basses have all been somewhat of a disappointment to me - except for my Squier Affinity Precision (the red and white one) which is a 1999 model.

But as much as things stay the same, they also change and what's good today may not be tomorrow.