Why become a member? ×

Extension speaker from ABM head

CrackityJones

Hi.
I'm using an Ashdown ABM 300w head and an SWR Basic 2-way 15" cab. Can I use the 12" speaker from a Warwick CL combo as an extension speaker, and if so, does it connect via the "out" jack from the SWR cab, or the speaker output jack next to the speakon that I'm already using on the amp? (In other words, using both speaker outputs from the back of the amp). I'll be using a Female to female jack adapter to attach the jack lead to the Warwick.

Thanks
CJ.

[quote name='CrackityJones' post='1155428' date='Mar 9 2011, 03:18 PM']I'm using an Ashdown ABM 300w head and an SWR Basic 2-way 15" cab. Can I use the 12" speaker from a Warwick CL combo as an extension speaker, and if so, does it connect via the "out" jack from the SWR cab, or the speaker output jack next to the speakon that I'm already using on the amp? (In other words, using both speaker outputs from the back of the amp). I'll be using a Female to female jack adapter to attach the jack lead to the Warwick.[/quote]

You can't hook a combo onto the speaker output of a power amp.
At best you'll destroy your combo, at worst you'll destroy the combo and the ABM head.

[quote name='icastle' post='1155475' date='Mar 9 2011, 03:47 PM']You can't hook a combo onto the speaker output of a power amp.
At best you'll destroy your combo, at worst you'll destroy the combo and the ABM head.[/quote]

Was going to unhook the speaker from the amp of the combo so I can just use it as extension. Bad idea?

Perhaps you could have a word with one of the mods to merge your two threads?

To answer your question on the other thread, you'd plug into the Ashdown and take a lead from the effects out into the effects in of the Warwick.

Is this the 150 watt CL ND 4 you're talking about? That seems to have a 4 ohm speaker fitted, and under no circumstances should be wired in parallel to another cab with your Ashdown. Unless you fancy seeing what your amp looks like shrouded in smoke.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='1156089' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:53 PM']Perhaps you could have a word with one of the mods to merge your two threads?

To answer your question on the other thread, you'd plug into the Ashdown and take a lead from the effects out into the effects in of the Warwick.

Is this the 150 watt CL ND 4 you're talking about? That seems to have a 4 ohm speaker fitted, and under no circumstances should be wired in parallel to another cab with your Ashdown. Unless you fancy seeing what your amp looks like shrouded in smoke.[/quote]

It's 150w, but the old CL, not the CL ND 4. Say's on back of amp "min 8 ohm's" - presumably that tells me the speaker is 8 ohms then?

New to the terminology- wiring in parallel would be taking a jack from the "out" in back of SWR cab to the Warwick 12"?

Appreciate your help...

CJ.

[quote name='CrackityJones' post='1158056' date='Mar 11 2011, 01:51 PM']It's 150w, but the old CL, not the CL ND 4. Say's on back of amp "min 8 ohm's" - presumably that tells me the speaker is 8 ohms then?

New to the terminology- wiring in parallel would be taking a jack from the "out" in back of SWR cab to the Warwick 12"?

Appreciate your help...

CJ.[/quote]
By the sound of things it does seem that the speaker is at least 8 ohm, but you might like to contact Warwick just to double check.

Almost all amps and cabs are are wired so that adding an extra cab will be a parallel connection and the SWR cab is no exception. There's a good article on series/parallel wiring [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage#combining_speaker_cabinets"]in the wiki[/url].

[quote name='Musky' post='1160001' date='Mar 12 2011, 11:19 PM']By the sound of things it does seem that the speaker is at least 8 ohm, but you might like to contact Warwick just to double check.

Almost all amps and cabs are are wired so that adding an extra cab will be a parallel connection and the SWR cab is no exception. There's a good article on series/parallel wiring [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage#combining_speaker_cabinets"]in the wiki[/url].[/quote]

Much obliged. I'll try contact Warwick about that.

Just took the speaker out to have a look- yup, 8 ohms it is. So I guess from what you're saying my best bet is to stick a speaker lead from effects send of Ashdown into effects return on Warwick. Presumably the eq for each is then independent of the other amp.

Well I've got a Motown gig to try it out on Sat, so I'll let you know how it sounds...

Cheers.

CJ

[quote name='CrackityJones' post='1161075' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:29 PM']Presumably the eq for each is then independent of the other amp.[/quote]

Probably not. Effects Send/Return is usually post EQ. The Ashdown will be the pre-amp and all you use in the Warwick is the power amp and speaker.

You may find that plugging into the Effects Send on the Ashdown cuts the signal to its power amp so may need a splitter cable.

Also you need an instrument cable to connect them, not an unshielded speaker lead.

[quote name='obbm' post='1161148' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:38 PM']Probably not. Effects Send/Return is usually post EQ. The Ashdown will be the pre-amp and all you use in the Warwick is the power amp and speaker.

You may find that plugging into the Effects Send on the Ashdown cuts the signal to its power amp so may need a splitter cable.

Also you need an instrument cable to connect them, not an unshielded speaker lead.[/quote]

Thanks, getting there. Could you elaborate re splitter...?

[quote name='CrackityJones' post='1161166' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:46 PM']You may find that plugging into the Effects Send on the Ashdown cuts the signal to its power amp so may need a splitter cable.

Thanks, getting there. Could you elaborate re splitter...?[/quote]

It could be as simple as using a Y-cord to split the signal to the two power amps. The Ashdown Send Output jack has 2 cables wired to it. One goes to the Ashdown Return and the other goes to the Warwick Effects Return.

[quote name='obbm' post='1161175' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:52 PM']It could be as simple as using a Y-cord to split the signal to the two power amps. The Ashdown Send Output jack has 2 cables wired to it. One goes to the Ashdown Return and the other goes to the Warwick Effects Return.[/quote]

Ok, thanks- sounds simple enough. If I can't find one, maybe I could put an order in?!

[quote name='obbm' post='1161175' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:52 PM']It could be as simple as using a Y-cord to split the signal to the two power amps. The Ashdown Send Output jack has 2 cables wired to it. One goes to the Ashdown Return and the other goes to the Warwick Effects Return.[/quote]

In the mean time, I'll try using just the Warwick speaker as extension from the Ashdown. So....

is it better to take "out" jack from back of SWR cab and into the Warwick 12" speaker (not using it's own amp), or use both the speakon and jack outputs from the Ashdown, one for each speaker? Just don't want to make some kind of crazy mistake here.

Thanks again.