Why become a member? ×

Overwater 6'er £499

I'm now thinking that body has been created separately with some kind of connection with Overwater ('guvvy job', to those who know the expression) and a project was completed with a Jim Cairnes neck following a specification which was common for the Bass Place in Newcastle at the time. Whatever the provenance you have a splendid instrument at a bargain price. Delving any deeper would not be particularly beneficial.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1170790' date='Mar 21 2011, 03:48 PM']The connections are with me (Howard), Jim Cairnes, and Overwater, so I suggest it's a Howjiwatermercallit Custom Six. :) :)[/quote]

mmmmm..? annuzzer interezting expereemint Herr Doktor!

Hi,

Just to clear this up - brought to my attention by Martin:

It is an old Overwater bridge (judging by the saddles dating anywhere from mid 80's, through to about ten years ago), but I can confirm the rest of it has nothing to do with any official Overwater instrument, from any period.

Over the years, we have sold odd bridges, pick-ups, knobs and electronics etc. and obviously from time to time, they do turn up on things...

Hope this helps,

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Well done, man.

I was planning on bidding on this one - the same bass had been up on Gumtree a couple of weeks prior - and that advert showed the Tobias style headstock far more clearly than the auction.

And +1 to the plan of giving Chris May a bell - he is a truly personable fellow, a gentleman and clearly a scholar too, given how much he knows about what he is selling (from the strings to the basses and back).

The only problem you may run into is the requirement for a set of wheels to replace your donkey's hind legs.