Why become a member? ×

Music Man Sabre and Aguilar OBP-2, is it good match?

shemeckfrac

I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for a replacement pre-amp on my Music Man Sabre (aka late 70's).

The current 4 controls circuit topology does not appear to be original because I did not find any electrical wiring or photos of a Sabre with (4 knobs & 3 switches).
If there was such model issued by Music Man please let me know.

Although the bass plays great and the tone is amazing I'm a bit frustrated with effort of fiddling with the controls to set the tone I'm looking for. Also there are minor issues with noise, picking up the radio waves and draining the battery very fast.

I'm contemplating replacing the existing pre-amp with the Aguilar OBP-2 (vol,vol, bass, treble config), but I don't want to compromise the characteristics of the Sabre vintage sound that I really love. In other words, I don't want to turn it into some other bass.

I am looking for suggestions as to what pre-amp would be ideal for my Music Man Sabre.

(more pics here:
[url="https://picasaweb.google.com/shemeckfrac/BassGear?authkey=Gv1sRgCOzgrrjRreOr9QE&feat=directlink"]https://picasaweb.google.com/shemeckfrac/Ba...feat=directlink[/url]

Now, that is a very good question. Like I said I did not find the diagram that matches my Sabre.

I believe are as follows:
1st 3-way switch (black head) - pickup(s) selector
2nd 3-way switch -[b] not sure[/b] (one Sabre schematic it shows 2-way switch for Phase)
2nd 3-way switch - [b]not sure[/b] (one Sabre schematic it shows 2-way switch for Brightness)
Knob 1 - Master Volume
Knob 2 - [b]Not sure[/b]. It does some type of switching in 3 stages (its like a 3-stage boost of some sort)
Knob 3 - Bass
Knob 4 - Treble

The only schematic for Sabre I could find is the one attached, but it's definitely different from mine.

For potential replacement I'd talk to John East (East UK). May be worth replacing the control plate and losing some of the switches? A friend has one of these and I've never worked out all the possible sounds..or ever been certain what they all did!

[quote name='BassBod' post='1152194' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:17 AM']For potential replacement I'd talk to John East (East UK). May be worth replacing the control plate and losing some of the switches? A friend has one of these and I've never worked out all the possible sounds..or ever been certain what they all did![/quote]

I seem to have the exactly same problem as your friend! Can't really work out all the possibilities, worse takes some effort to go back to the known settings (e.g. after your child gets the hold of the knobs). On the other hand there are some interesting distortion/saturation effects you can achieve (I am not sure if that's malfunction or a feature).

Anyway, my question to you is: does your friend has exactly the same bass with exactly these controls ? If so it could mean my Sabre was never altered and everything is original (which I'm trying to determine).

Sorry..I haven't seen the bass for a year or two. He understands it. Just doesn't use anything but one sound!

If you're getting distortion then I'd think something is wrong...probably with a component in the active preamp. I'm sure its repairable, but if it was my bass I'd consider a simpler set up..but with the MM character. Have a look at John Easts MM type replacements? Adding just a pickup selector to one could do the trick?

good luck - and don't your kids find some great sounds when you're not looking!

[quote name='shemeckfrac' post='1152417' date='Mar 7 2011, 12:55 PM']If so it could mean my Sabre was never altered and everything is original (which I'm trying to determine).[/quote]

as far as i know no sabre ever left the factory with the control set-up you have there...

[quote name='Higgie' post='1152561' date='Mar 7 2011, 03:07 PM']Distortion could be the result of a dying battery. Have you tried replacing it and seeing if you still get the same effects on the same settings?[/quote]

plus the one, although the old mm preamps weren't exactly big on subtlety - they can have a huge output with the bass boosted, so i'd make sure it's not driving the inout of your amp too hard.