Why become a member? ×

Battery life?

D-COOPER

Hi folks.I recently bought a TC Electronics Flashback delay.I love the pedal but im confused about the number of batteries iv had to use.The one that comes with it literally lasted a few minutes then the pedal died.Im on my 7th battery so far and they are not the cheap variety.Is this a common problem with delay pedals?My Tech 21 Red Ripper lasts a lot longer.After reading about power supplies iv ordered the Diago Powerstation so hopefully the battery thing wont be a problem for much longer.Just curious to hear some feedback.Cheers.

Hi there :)

Not wanting to dis the battery users out there but when it comes to batteries, I only use them in basses.

I got a power pack years ago which I run all my pedals off as I hate to have to keep plugging & unplugging all the pedals on my board. The only exception is my tuner pedal that I keep at the start of the chain - that one carries a battery incase I find myself somewhere where I have to tune up off stage (festival / multi-band night etc).

That said - most pedals are not too bad on the juice - however there are a couple out there that'll drink more that a drummer. And it's not just that, you might get through a practice or a gig on one battery but then you'll be paranoid that it'll die the next time you use it so will end up changing it every time "Just in case".

Yep, know that pain. Most 'modulation' or 'digital modelling' pedals eat batteries like no tomorrow - my Digitech BSW ratings plate told me that I'd need a 300mA power supply - about an hour from a good fresh 9v PP3 (if you're [i]really[/i] lucky and a patron deity is smiling on you). Not good really - they definitely all need powering from a wall-wart type or dedicated effects PSU.

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1158242' date='Mar 11 2011, 04:11 PM']Most 'modulation' or 'digital modelling' pedals eat batteries like no tomorrow - my Digitech BSW ratings plate told me that I'd need a 300mA power supply - about an hour from a good fresh 9v PP3[/quote]
Yup. A Boss digital delay will last about an hour on a PP9. But 5 minutes seems ridiculous.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1149586' date='Mar 4 2011, 03:48 PM']Yep, digital delays eat batteries like I eat pizza. Get a power supply. It'll work out much cheaper, and it's kinder to the environment.[/quote]

+1 just get a power supply. if it doesn't work then, then you know it's the pedal. But it far better for the environment and less stress