Why become a member? ×

Another effect newbie...

Phil-osopher10

Hello all,

I recently got it into my head that maybe an effects pedal would go down a treat, problem is I have no experience in this field. Where do I start? I play mostly rock I'd say, nothing massively hard. I do like the chorus sound and I suppose a touch of delay. But I also enjoy odd synth-y sounds For my first dive in should I go for one or two single pedals or a multi unit? I was looking at the ibanez cs9 and the tc nova modulator? and what about compression, is it important?

If you're just starting off with pedals, id definitely start off with a multi. You can have a good play around with lots of different effects and get the general gist of what they are and how you can use them. When you find a few you like, you can start looking around at individual pedals and build up from there.

Theres a range of multi fx pedals out there. Id probably recommend a Zoom B2 as its a good price and will give you a good starting platform.

+1

You get much better sounds if you buy seperate pedals, but it's VERY expensive if you want to try everything out first, especially if you find you aren't using most of them! Zoom gets a LOT of love here so I'd go for that.

On compression, it's not 100% necessary but it does 'even out' your playing a bit, and helps a lot if some strings are louder than others. People use it for many reasons but that's all i use it for. I think the Zoom has one built in, so I'd read a tutorial somewhere and experiment with it. As for chorus/delay... man I love the sounds those 2 effects can bring together, very musical!

As those above do, I'll always suggest going for a multi fx unit if you're not sure what you want.
You can spend anything from £20 upwards on one. A good starting point is the zoom pedals, but have a look at Roland, Line 6 & any others you spy if you're planning on using it live.

Can I just chuck in a vote for the Boss ME-20B...

It's got a lot of sounds, makes a great introduction to multi-effect pedals and is stronger than an ox on steroids. It can take a little working out initially, but it's nothing too complicated with a little application.