Why become a member? ×

G string too bright

norvegicusbass

Not sure if its my cheap strings but when I play the G string it sounds far too bright almost like Im popping. My bass is a cheap Lindo semi acoustic the strings are roundwound and brass like in colour, anyone know what strings are primarily used on this guitar? Im quite happy with the tone on the E and A strings, less happy about the D and dont like playing the G string at all. I am after a more mellow tone so flats are probably the answer but is this brightness of the D and especially the G string a feature of this type of string?

[quote name='Mlucas' post='1147486' date='Mar 2 2011, 06:51 PM']Are they new strings? It might just be because you're G string hasn't been played as much, so hasn't dulled as much as the other strings?[/quote]

Yeah I got the bass this last Xmas so the strings are new. I never really thought about the fact that the G string especially gets less action as it were than the others maybe I will play a few top end tunes for a while.

Try that, if it doesn't seem to make a difference then you should invest in either a new single G string (pretty cheap) or a new set of strings, which would set you back anything from £12-£15 for a fairly decent set, the second should completely sort the problem, :)

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1147507' date='Mar 2 2011, 07:00 PM']Yeah I got the bass this last Xmas so the strings are new. I never really thought about the fact that the G string especially gets less action as it were than the others maybe I will play a few top end tunes for a while.[/quote]

If you got the bass this Christmas and the strings are new then you're not playing enough :)