Why become a member? ×

Lakland 5501 pickup replacement

CHRISDABASS

Hey

Really happy with the playability and feel of the lakland 5501 i bought recently i just want to get a more punchy (sadowsky like) sound from it. Im thinking of replacing the Bart Mk1's with Nordy's! Do you think these pickups will help to get me closer to the super jazz sound?

If so which would you suggest??

Cheers

Hi mate,

Have you sorted anything else out yet?

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what the MK1's are... I think they're humbuckers right? Then there's the hole they'll leave behind which limits to some extent what you can stick in...

If they're humbuckers then a split coil will give you more of a sound inline with a jazz tone. The big splits will probably be the right size...

I've played big splits I liked, and some I didn't - it's all personal, but my point is - the pre amp and pick up combo is gunna be what makes or breaks it. I know a guy with Nordy split coils and a Aggi pre and he loves it, being a real P bass fan I'd say he's getting a fat tone from it! YOu may find you want to change the pre once you've got the pups.

If I was gunna do a real super jazz thing tho (IMO of course) and didn't need silent pups I'd put Single coils Lindy Fralins or the like, with a smoking pre amp... Maybe see what some of the guys on Talk Bass have done in your situation.

What are you thinking at the moment?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1140105' date='Feb 24 2011, 04:10 PM']Well i ordered the nordy big splits yesterday! :) the plan is to change the pre once i can afford it :)

Im sure it'll be an improvement over the bart humbuckers :lol:

:D[/quote]

Cool. Well, wait till you hear it, it might be the prefect combo! If you change make sure you do the homework before blowing the cash... Good luck!