Why become a member? ×

A little help obtaining a sound :)

VxR Rusty

Hey all

I rememberd my previous user name now, Russty_dub lol, but anyway.

The band im in now is going down that Industrial/dance adventure, and im wondering how id go about getting a really good deep deep punchy sound.

The sound id love to get is that of Hadoukens Chris Purcell, especially of their most recent songs, especially Oxygen

The gear i use is:
Ernieball Sub bass (with ernieball strings)
Peavy/markbass 150watt head (its quite old lol)
laney 2x15 cab
Ive got a deep sound atm, but i dont think its deep enough,
Ive heard Compression pedals help, and im trying to get hold of and Ashdown Dual band on the cheap :)

Any help will be appreciated, i cant afford to change gear as im only an apprentice :)

Cheers
Rusty

I've not heard any good reviews of the Ashdown Dual Band, and there are some nasty noise issues. A similar compressor that seems to get raved about is the Trace Elliot SMX, but there are loads more out there. I would point you towards the cheap Behringer I've got for sale as it's fantastic for the price, but I figured the slight loss of low end would be counter productive if you want a deep sound :) I'd visit this website [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url] as there are in depth reviews of pretty much every compressor out there. It's what pointed me towards my Aguilar TLC which I swear by!

You might also want to try an octave pedal if you want REALLY deep :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1136456' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:44 PM']I had the Ashdown EVO rig with the switchable sub harmonics for me it was a bit well, Gash but you might like it I presume they put it on there for someone?[/quote]

I used to rehearse with a band using a Behringer amp with a 'Deep' switch not unlike this. It should have been called a 'mud' switch :)

You've been playing about the same amount of time as me! There's still a lot I don't know, but I've learnt a lot in my time on these forums. And it's my pleasure to share any information I've picked up.

I had issues with my basses where different strings produced a vastly different sound, it could be due to the gauges but there are varying opinions on that. Now I have custom gauge strings now so every string has the same amount of tension, and to my ears at least, the output is a lot more balanced. Also, compression helps a lot, but I don't have to compress the sound quite as heavily now :)

The one I'm selling is a Behringer DC9, it does a fantasticd job even though the 'Sensitivity' knob works the opposite way round :) I'm selling it because I tune down to A, and the loss of low end was too much for me. It's alright for standard tunings though apparently. I'm looking for £15 which includes postage if you do want to give it a bash though :lol:

For the OP, there's definitely synth FX going on. Look into things like the Roland V-Bass if you want to sound exactly like that. It's quite possibly not even a bass guitar though.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1136538' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:28 PM']Now I have custom gauge strings now so every string has the same amount of tension[/quote]

Quick note on this: String guage is a bit misleading when it comes to string tension. The biggest factor in tension is the guage of the core, when you look at string guages you're actually looking at the guage including the winding. More even string guages will mean the cores are more likely to be even, but there's still a chance that the tension can vary a lot with whatever guages you use. IIRC at least.

That's some really handy information Thom! Someone's gonna really benefit from that. If only I had been a member of this site last year, I could have avoided the weeks of endless research! Thankfully I gained access to a tension chart in the end though, and now I've got something that works perfectly for what i want to do :)