Why become a member? ×

Getting THAT double bass tone

Beedster

You know that lovely, kinda in the background yet really THERE double bass tone that so many of the great players seem to have (and which so many of the DB plug-ins seem to rely on)....?

Well, yesterday someone inadvertently left the PA reverb on, and I got it, I got the sound I've been after since I started playing DB? Is that really all it needs, a splash of reverb?

So, how many of you DB players use more reverb on your DB sound than you would on your electric bass sound when playing live or recording?

C

I don't use any reverb when I play upright.

I think alot of that sound comes from placing a mic infront of the bass,so you are picking up the projected sound of the bass,and hearing it's narural resonance,rather than plugging in and adding reverb.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1136163' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:22 PM']I got the sound I've been after since I started playing DB? Is that really all it needs, a splash of reverb?

C[/quote]

Chris if that's how you got your sound mate, that's great! It's a terrific feeling when you like what you hear, a real confidence boost.

I found mine with those Honeys, Schaller and the CMD12P, not subtle, but I don't do subtle, I leave that to the pro's!

Was it same out front and in monitors?

John

[quote name='Doddy' post='1136290' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:12 PM']I don't use any reverb when I play upright.

I think alot of that sound comes from placing a mic infront of the bass,so you are picking up the projected sound of the bass,and hearing it's narural resonance,rather than plugging in and adding reverb.[/quote]

Agreed, although it doesn't work in a lot of situations in which you're either tracking a lot of instruments or playing on a crowded stage.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1136423' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:29 PM']Chris if that's how you got your sound mate, that's great! It's a terrific feeling when you like what you hear, a real confidence boost.

I found mine with those Honeys, Schaller and the CMD12P, not subtle, but I don't do subtle, I leave that to the pro's!

Was it same out front and in monitors?

John[/quote]

Apparently it sounded great, hence my happiness! It also made the parts so much easier to get into - perhaps, as suggested in Doddy's post, I was hearing what I would hear of I was 10 or 20 feet away? I'm going to experiment with some recordings at the weekend and see how these go. We're also gigging with all the band through a PA this weekend so I'll take a recording from that and see how it sounds in the mix. the real [problem of course is that I'm adding artificial reverb to natural reverb and turning the signal into mush, but I guess that's where experimentation comes in?