Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image Contra IIa combo - a good amp ?

BigBeatNut

Anyone know how many watts an Acoustic Image Contra IIa combo will deliver ?

That's on it's own, not with an extension cab.

I've got an opportunity to buy one, I don't know the spec (and google isn't helping me at all). There's a label on the back near the power socket that says 250 watt, but I think that's what it consumes from the mains, not what it delivers through the speaker. (Although it does kind of suggest a power rating of around 100 watts).

TIA, Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1133508' date='Feb 19 2011, 03:54 PM']Can anyone give me their impressions of this amp ?

What does it sound like (I know they're a DB favourite) ?

Good buy ? Is it a classic ? Sadly outdated technology ?

Andy[/quote]

It's an extremely good buy for DB, not so much for EB. For DB, the tone is outstanding, it doesn't noticeably colour my signal at all - what you hear sounds like DB, just louder. It also spreads the sound around the stage very efficiently also.

Having made the decision to go through the PA from now on I've recently sold mine, but I'm really going to miss it.

C

I use mine for both DB and electric. If it's with EB I put it through a Markbass 15" cab. Played EB through it alone with the jazz band no problems. With the country band I dep with it needs the 15" too. Someone once described it to me as "a sensible bass amp". Don't play with it lifted off the floor though as you loose all the power. It's designed to use a solid surface to spread the sound. Great little amp.

[quote name='BassBus' post='1133531' date='Feb 19 2011, 04:09 PM']If it's with EB I put it through a Markbass 15" cab.

Don't play with it lifted off the floor though as you loose all the power.[/quote]

+1 to both of those. I've played EB through the combo head and into a Bag End 15" with far better results than through the combo speakers.

Re the floor issue, 99% of the time you'll need it there. However, much like the Mesa Boogie cabs with the down-facing speakers (although the AI are active whilst the MB are passive), taking them off the floor can occasionally be the best option if your getting some boominess.

Enjoy it

C

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1133578' date='Feb 19 2011, 04:50 PM']Thanks for the snappy response guys ... I think I'm off to buy myself an AI combo :)[/quote]

... or not. Turns out the low impedance input isn't working at all. Now that's your input for everything but an unbuffered piezo, isn't ?

I plugged my Rob Allen (piezo, active) into the high-impedance input, (which I'm presuming was the wrong choice) and can't say I was bowled over by it ... maybe I should take my EUB (piezo/active) when I go back.

Anyway, they'll try and repair and I'll go back next week. However I'm starting to wonder if this is a case of, if it looks too good to be true, it probably IS to good to be true ... when the shop manager was told the lo-z input wasn't working, he tried to rectify matters by messing around with the speaker connectors, which didn't inspire confidence ... I hope the tech guy is more clued up.