Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about DI boxes in live use?

Gunsfreddy2003

I recently bought a Sadowsky pre-amp/DI box and having not used one before I just wondered how I should use it live as I have a gig in a club with an in-house PA tomorrow night.

The pre-amp sits at the front of my pedalboard so takes the signal straight from the bass and then passes through to the first pedal on my board. I presume that if I take the DI from the Sadowsky rather than my amp then none of my effects will be heard out front as the signal is taken before the first pedal?

If that is correct then is there any smart way around this?

You assume correctly. The only way round this is to put the Sadowsky pedal last in line before the amp. Would this be a problem?

Do bear in mind though that venues/sound engineers are often reluctant to use band member's own DI boxes, and if you do manage to convince them then the slightest crackle or buzz anywhere on stage will be deemed the fault of your DI!

Along those lines I think you're better off playing it safe in terms of sound and not adding too much EQ with the pedal, as this will be giving a fairly 'loaded' signal to the PA which, whilst suitable for your amp and what you like to hear, might not suit the PA or what they want to hear.

Andrew

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1131606' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:05 PM']I recently bought a Sadowsky pre-amp/DI box and having not used one before I just wondered how I should use it live as I have a gig in a club with an in-house PA tomorrow night.

The pre-amp sits at the front of my pedalboard so takes the signal straight from the bass and then passes through to the first pedal on my board. I presume that if I take the DI from the Sadowsky rather than my amp then none of my effects will be heard out front as the signal is taken before the first pedal?

If that is correct then is there any smart way around this?[/quote]

I have a Sadowsky DI/Preamp. The DI on it is excellent (so i am told) and most sound engineers prefer it to the DI in my Mark Bass Amp which often causes issues. I don't use any other pedals, in truth i don't use the Sadowsky much, but there is a "standard" way to chain effects. Don't ask me what it is but there will be some much smarter people on here who might be able to tell you if it is ok to put the Sadowsy last in your effects chain. If it is last you will be EQing your effected sound. I am not sure that it is what the Sadowsky was designed for but you never know it might sound ok.

Yes that appears to be the only solution me thinks as I too need the Preamp in front of my effects as the boost in signal really works wonders with my envelope filters.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1131714' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:49 PM']The DI on the Sadowsky is really good,but as I want the Preamp in front if my effects I use another DI box at the end of the pedal chain.[/quote]