Why become a member? ×

PAT Testing.

Soliloquy

I'm thinking specifically bands, or maybe if enough people in an area want their gear testing to make it worthwhile.

My cousins husband (as of today, they get married this afternoon :) ), has his own company doing PAT testing, and other electrical testing too. He actually has a contract for doing a couple of large chain stores.

He recently did my gear, and that belonging to one of the bands I play for.
He's an ex musician and is very reasonable with his prices, and will give a discount if you mention basschat. He charged the band £50 for doing a load of gear including amps, PA, lighting, lasers etc.

He's based in Birmingham, but will travel around the Midlands area.

His name's James, and his number is 07599 356864.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1130770' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:23 AM']I'm thinking specifically bands, or maybe if enough people in an area want their gear testing to make it worthwhile.

My cousins husband (as of today, they get married this afternoon :) ), has his own company doing PAT testing, and other electrical testing too. He actually has a contract for doing a couple of large chain stores.

He recently did my gear, and that belonging to one of the bands I play for.
He's an ex musician and is very reasonable with his prices, and will give a discount if you mention basschat. He charged the band £50 for doing a load of gear including amps, PA, lighting, lasers etc.

He's based in Birmingham, but will travel around the Midlands area.

His name's James, and his number is 07599 356864.[/quote]

But best not call him tonight????

I had a well paid gig almost cancelled on the night last summer due to jobsworth venue staff and PAT testing, so worth thinking about.

Yes, that was the plan for this gig...there was a roll of stickers ready (allegedly, of course) but the singer forgot to tell anyone, and got there late...by which time jobsworth had been lurking around during load in and spied no stickers. Plan B got complicated.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1131044' date='Feb 17 2011, 02:13 PM']I remember there was a thread about PAT testing a few years ago on here, the general consensus being that you might as well just buy the little sticker that says your gear has passed a PAT test for like 50p or something.[/quote]

To be honest, that's exactly what I've always done in the past.

I was told though (I don't know if this is correct, but it does make sense), that if someone was injured, electrocuted by my equipment, or it caused a fire. and they discovered that I'd just stuck some labels on the gear. Then it would be my fault, and any insurance claim would be thrown out. I have public liability insurance through the MU.

I gigged with a band a couple of weeks ago, the lead supply their desk was damaged by being shut in the trunk the previous gig. Things like that can happen ten minutes after having your gear tested, but who honestly checks their stuff properly ? Certainly not me, I'm considered dangerous with a screwdriver :).

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1131416' date='Feb 17 2011, 07:00 PM']To be honest, that's exactly what I've always done in the past.

I was told though (I don't know if this is correct, but it does make sense), that if someone was injured, electrocuted by my equipment, or it caused a fire. and they discovered that I'd just stuck some labels on the gear. Then it would be my fault, and any insurance claim would be thrown out. I have public liability insurance through the MU.

I gigged with a band a couple of weeks ago, the lead supply their desk was damaged by being shut in the trunk the previous gig. Things like that can happen ten minutes after having your gear tested, but who honestly checks their stuff properly ? Certainly not me, I'm considered dangerous with a screwdriver :).[/quote]

Well there you go: even if you do get it tested there is no gaurantee that you will still be alright if something does go wrong...

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1131416' date='Feb 17 2011, 07:00 PM']I was told though (I don't know if this is correct, but it does make sense), that if someone was injured, electrocuted by my equipment, or it caused a fire. and they discovered that I'd just stuck some labels on the gear. Then it would be my fault, and any insurance claim would be thrown out. I have public liability insurance through the MU.[/quote]

This is most likely very true, however silly the red tape, if you have not ticked the boxes as the rules state for anything, you can end up in trouble

Just make sure if a fire does start, that all your gear with stickers on goes up with it, then they can only do you for not having the test and not for putting false stickers on :)

Edited by lojo