Why become a member? ×

1977 Music Man Stingray

bassbluestew

Hi all,

I honestly never, ever thought I'd do this, but I have incurable Smith GAS and a chance to do something about it. It took a loooong tiome to find a pre-EB Ray that I loved to play, and this is a players bass.

It has the cherished and sought after BOO serial number and the original hard case. I have just taken the controlplatw off to take some photos and guess what, it has the black epoxy preamp. How cool is that, just like Mr Edwards I'm told.
Neck date stamp is 10 June 1977. My 15th Birthday.

According to the owners registration at Music Man it was originally a natural finish but has been very poorly painted in black. I would not say refinished as this gives the impression of permanace and professionailism. It's a shoddy job which according to a local respected luthier can be put right very, very easily. In fact on a hot night some of the finish comes away. From what I can see it looks really nice underneath. Has a beautiful maple neck and plays like a dream !!!

The mutes need to be replaced, but as far as I know the rest is all original ( I put straplocks on but have the original strap pins ).

It sounds absolutely huge, it somehow sounds to go lower than a 5 string, it just sounds THAT big. But the top end is all there in spades too, don't want you to think this a muddy beast - quite the opposite. It's very articulate. A real players bass. I can honestly say I have had more complements on the sound of this bass live than any other bass I have played in 35 years of playing.

I will get photos up tomorrow in daylight.

Looking to get back what it owes me - £1500. I can't stress enough how I love this bass, but you all know how GAS affects us.

Again sorry no trades - unless you have a neck thru Smith and would like this and my Overwater which is also for sale.

Thanks
Stewart

Edited by bassbluestew

Sorry - sent the message after a couple of glasses of wine!

Will send the PM to you now!!

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1130355' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:25 PM']Wow.................lots of interest, thanks guys.

All PM's up to date I believe.

Oh and Mr GunsFreddy I didn't get a PM from your very good self.

Stewart[/quote]

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1130613' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:27 AM']Ah, that would explain it

[b]Not sure whether to be pleased or pissed at the price comment??[/b]

All PMs up to date, and please note the edit to the OP, this bass has the sought after black epoxy preamp. As Me E might have said himself, YOWSER!![/quote]
Trust me, I'm sure whoever buys it will be [b]very[/b] pleased with the price. :)

Sorry good folks, I geunuinely was overwhelmed by the response to this and the Overwater I was selling. I was concentrating on deperately trying to keep all the PM's in order and not let anyone skip the queue. I just didn't have time to get pics up. Both were sold in priciple within 24 hours, in fact the Ray was sold in principle in a couple of hours.

Not sure if it is good etiquette to post pictures now that is is sold. Is that "not the done thing ??"

I am very sure however that a very excited puppy will be plastering this website with pictures of his new baby when it arrives early next week.

Apologies if anyone feels let down,
Stewart