Why become a member? ×

music technology upon computers

cris the man

Being an avid Mac user for recording.... you could do worse than to pick yourself up one of the new iMacs..... the 20" version is a steal and the performance is great.

I guess it depends on how you want your recording set-up. do you have an area where you will be using the Mac?

Example - I have a project studio which I run a Mac Pro.... indoors for editing I have an iMac.... I run MOTU Digital Performer on both.

[quote name='crez5150' post='129427' date='Jan 28 2008, 05:13 PM']Being an avid Mac user for recording.... you could do worse than to pick yourself up one of the new iMacs..... the 20" version is a steal and the performance is great.

I guess it depends on how you want your recording set-up. do you have an area where you will be using the Mac?

Example - I have a project studio which I run a Mac Pro.... indoors for editing I have an iMac.... I run MOTU Digital Performer on both.[/quote]

something handy to carry around as i travel around , my friend has a studio in his basement.... i work at the local studio doing music technology courses , its so easy on things like garageband

however , brother is doing work on mixing and recording on programmes such as steinberg cubase and logic pro and express...

As a music technology student myself, i would 100% recommend buying a MAC. I own an iMac with a 1.82 GHz intel duel core processor, with 1GB of memory and its good enough to run Logic well. When looking into buying a computer to run music/video software, you need it to be fast and to have the ability to run more than one application fast.

The software i own which is essential to my university course is Logic Pro 8 and Reason 3 (reason 4 soon!). Im also looking into purchasing MAX MSP very soon. Garage band is a great starting point and helps ease you into logic.

if you are a student you will also get a student discount on mac, whch is nice and easy to do from there website or phone. i will also +1 for the imacs, they are amazing, but your never going to carry one around.. so get a macbook, which is cheap, and not ideal for a studio, or a powerbook, more expensive but well well well worth the money. They are both laptops, dead stylish and will do everything you need. Also be sure to have at least 1 gig, if not 2 of ram when you order if you are going to be using logic, pro tools, or any software that is actually useful :)

Edited by mr.sibs

+1 on student discount! If you log in with your universities details at a university terminal, then you get a huge discount on software. I got the full Logic studio 8 suite for £118. I think the discount is 60%-70%!!! However the discount is much less on hardware.

Mac book pro's are amazing! Wish i could afford one!

I don't have a Mac but I understand that the main argument for a Mac relates to the stability of software and its interfacing with other programmes and with hardware. All Mac related software is designed with the Mac in mind but PC software is more of an industry standard in an industry whose standards aren't! So its more of a lottery and introducing new software onto a PC is risky in terms of both whether it will work properly and also how it will interface with other pieces of kit (e.g certain plugs ins in Cubase as opposed to Sonar etc). I am not that IT literate but I think that's the gist of it.

The thing about a mac is that you can run most D.A.W's on it like Pro-tools, ableton live, cubase, nuendo........
On a PC you cant run Logic, which is easily the best D.A.W. apart from a full Pro-tools rig!!! Pro-tools and Logic are the two main industry standards and if you can get your head around them, its plain sailing!

Mac mini's are great - just max out the RAM. The great thing with these is they don't have a built in monitor (the imacs and macbooks chuck out loads of RF interference), so you can switch off the monitor when recording. If you want portable get a macbook and again, max out the RAM.

The other thing to be aware of with macs is there's now viruses out there that attack macs so get some security software.