Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar Bass

silky 2010

Hi Everyone, Just a quick question. I have searched and searched the net for an answer to this but I cannot find one.

I am looking at buying my first new bass and I am looking at the Squier Jaguar Bass, but I would just like to know why the 'Special' version which is an active bass is so much cheaper that the normal passive bass?? from what I can see its about £70 cheaper.

Is the passive version a better bass? I just cant see how the 'Special' version is so much cheaper?

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Good question. I don't know the answer to that but I am sure if you ask Fender they'll put the prices up. These are not in the stores yet but we will know why they are cheaper soon as someone buys one.

I am sure that the "Lord of the Squiers" might be their first customer and he will give us the lowdown soon as he gets it.

This is just IMO but to me it looks like the difference is because the passive bass has block inlays, matching headstock and Duncan designed pups. The Special is also basswood, where as the passive is Agathis.

The active bass probably has standard Squier pups and a cheap preamp that probably doesn't cost much to make so wouldn't make a big difference to the cost.

So, again, IMO, the passive is a bit more special than the special lol.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1126989' date='Feb 14 2011, 01:16 PM']Basswood is a better wood (even from lesser cuts I think...) Than Agathis as it has a clearer tone and more even sound no? Plus its light great wood if you ask me![/quote]

No comment on whether its better (my CV P is basswood but "better" would be down to personal tastes IMO) but i have always assumed its cheaper.

My CVP is light but my CV Jazz (also basswood) weighed the same as my HW-one Jazz which was Alder.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1127009' date='Feb 14 2011, 01:26 PM']No comment on whether its better (my CV P is basswood but "better" would be down to personal tastes IMO) but i have always assumed its cheaper.

My CVP is light but my CV Jazz (also basswood) weighed the same as my HW-one Jazz which was Alder.[/quote]

True i guess!

The musicman Bongo is made of Basswood as is the Universe Ibanzez guitar, both expenisve awesome instruments, i guess its down to taste! Though as a soft wood its gram for gram just a tiny but lighter than alder,

I think the CVs use heavier older school components but i guess i'm not totally sure!

Agathis is a cheap wood as is Basswood, but personally i feel Basswood is more usuable as Agathis is wierd and has certain "pockets" of frequencies severly cut and some boosted if you know what i mean? What as most common woods are even sounding but have character, liek Alder being punchy and Ash having a sort of scooped sound

I enquired about the new Squier vintage modified jazz basses and here are the specs I was given:

The '77' is black with a maple white bound fingerboard with white pearloid block position inlays.
The body wood is agathis and it weighs 8.8 Lbs.
Price = £273.00.

The other model is in 3 Colour Sunburst with a rosewood neck, the body is basswood and it weighs 9.5 Lbs.
Price = £228.00.

Both have the same Duncan designed pickups and the weights will vary in individual models.

I don't know why they choose different woods for different models, but in this case basswood seems to be a fair bit heavier.

I have the "non-special" Jag-the black one

Its a lovely bass-i went for it as its a bit quirky- it has the block inlays, p-j split pups, stacked volume/tone pots and matching black headtock.

Since i got it, ive had it properly set up, a new bridge and nut fitted and it plays like a dream

recommended!

[quote name='Jambo' post='1127805' date='Feb 14 2011, 11:22 PM']I have the "non-special" Jag-the black one

Its a lovely bass-i went for it as its a bit quirky- it has the block inlays, p-j split pups, stacked volume/tone pots and matching black headtock.

Since i got it, ive had it properly set up, a new bridge and nut fitted and it plays like a dream

recommended![/quote]

Thanks, thats the one i have wanted for a while now. I cant decide wether to go for that one or the VM 70's Jazz bass, i really like the look of that one too! Decisions decisions!!

They are both the same price so I'm really really stuck now!

Edited by silky 2010

[quote name='silky 2010' post='1127913' date='Feb 15 2011, 07:46 AM']Thanks, thats the one i have wanted for a while now. I cant decide wether to go for that one or the VM 70's Jazz bass, i really like the look of that one too! Decisions decisions!!

They are both the same price so I'm really really stuck now![/quote]

Both the vintage modified jazz bass and the vintage modified jaguar are great bass'. If I were you, out of all the Jaguars go for the non special one with duncan designed pickups and block inlays.

Hi,

Just wanted to give you all an update of what i bought in the end.

I spent a lot of time in the music shop in Bristol, and eventually purchased a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz FSR in Sunburst (which i think is the only colour they do this bass in as they apparently only made 1200 for europe) and a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 75W bass amp.

For the last few months I have been using my mates old Aria bass with a really cheap 10W guitar amp. I cannot believe the difference with my new bass and amp, when the guy in the shop cranked up the little Line 6 amp it sounded absolutely amazing, especially for its size, the whole shop was vibrating! Its perfect for me as i only have a small house. It also has some cool effects like rock, grind, R&B, Clean, and Brit Pop, and Synth. The Bass itself is also a joy to practice with after using the old battered (held together with gaffer tape) Aria i have borrowed from my friend. So all in all i am a very happy chappy right now!
I did spend a little more than i intended, but i thought i might as well get something decent straight away rather than buy again in a few months.

If anyone has any tips for me regarding good songs to learn (easy ones) then I would be very grateful.

Thanks again for all you help...

Ben

[quote name='silky 2010' post='1131663' date='Feb 17 2011, 02:48 PM']Hi,

Just wanted to give you all an update of what i bought in the end.

I spent a lot of time in the music shop in Bristol, and eventually purchased a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz FSR in Sunburst (which i think is the only colour they do this bass in as they apparently only made 1200 for europe) and a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 75W bass amp.

For the last few months I have been using my mates old Aria bass with a really cheap 10W guitar amp. I cannot believe the difference with my new bass and amp, when the guy in the shop cranked up the little Line 6 amp it sounded absolutely amazing, especially for its size, the whole shop was vibrating! Its perfect for me as i only have a small house. It also has some cool effects like rock, grind, R&B, Clean, and Brit Pop, and Synth. The Bass itself is also a joy to practice with after using the old battered (held together with gaffer tape) Aria i have borrowed from my friend. So all in all i am a very happy chappy right now!
I did spend a little more than i intended, but i thought i might as well get something decent straight away rather than buy again in a few months.

If anyone has any tips for me regarding good songs to learn (easy ones) then I would be very grateful.

Thanks again for all you help...

Ben[/quote]

It's gonna sound strange, but I feel if you can get into the basslines on ABBA then you are well on your way - besides we all KNOW how those songs go so you can mentally figure out what to do next .

The bass isn't hidden in the background as bad as a lot of other songs and I feel it is a great training ground.

Plus - of course! - Motown [u]anything[/u] is great for training your ear and fingers.

Keep it simple and resist adding lots of 1/64 notes until you can work out 'the boxes'.

You'll soon find a pattern that will do you well to recognize in almost all songs for your musical ear if you are not Oriental or a Mid-Easterner. Their music forms are a lot different from what you normally hear and will want to play.

[quote name='Jambo' post='1127805' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:22 PM']I have the "non-special" Jag-the black one

recommended![/quote]

+1 I love mine too :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1126648' date='Feb 13 2011, 11:46 PM']Good question. I don't know the answer to that but I am sure if you ask Fender they'll put the prices up. These are not in the stores yet but we will know why they are cheaper soon as someone buys one.

I am sure that the "Lord of the Squiers" might be their first customer and he will give us the lowdown soon as he gets it.[/quote]

Just for info:

The VM-series of basses have all come down about 1/6th of their retail cost at GC and a few other related stores in the US. They are running $249.00 and they were $299.00. Go figger.

I was shocked to see the $199.00 price tag on the new VM-Hummers, and since they are active - I don't get it either.

Isn't this the way a dope dealer gets people hooked on drugs? 'The first one's free!" - right?

Well, almost free.

I have a pre-paid order for a candy red VM-Hummer - so I'll see what it sounds like when it hits the store here in SoCal.