Why become a member? ×

First go on EUB

GarethFlatlands

Wanting a more double bass sound for a song we're recording soon, I borrowed a friends EUB and played it for a couple of hours practice tonight. I've been completely bitten by the EUB bug, I'm really considering selling my other basses and getting one. Despite the weight and height (it was taller than me set up and barely fit in my car), it sounded amazing and thanks to some carefully applied electrical tape, it wasn't that hard to get the hang of where the notes were. I definitely need more practice on my technique but I loved it. I'm told it was a Yamaha although it looked like the model Harley Benton sell and a quick google couldn't confirm anything.

I'll put some clips up of the song it will be used on when they're recorded.

The Harley Benton models are the same as Palatino range, and are a basic EUB. They're okay, but to get the best out of them they need a hell of a lot of setup up. The cost of which would be equivalent to buying a good EUB to begin with. If it was a Yamaha copy, it was more than likely a Stagg. Again, a cheap instrument. Not terrible, but but not too great either.

If you're thinking of making the move to EUB, and cost is an issue, then the Stagg would be a good starting point. But, if you can afford it, you may wish to try the Ned Steinberger WAV 4 instruments. They cost about £700 new, and £500 ish second hand and are very good instruments. I've just got one :)

As with all things EUB, they are always an approximation of the DB experience, and if you want a truly authentic DB sound, you need a DB. Some very expensive models come close, but that is it - close, not the same. To get that type of top of the range tone you need to be spending several thousand on an instrument!

You might find a new NS WAV but they will be thin on the ground now as they don't make them anymore. The NXT has replaced it and will cost about £100 more than the WAV. As dlp says to get a truer DB sound from an EUB you'll need to spend a bit of money. If you go for a cheaper model, first thing to do is put on a set of real DB strings. Makes all the difference. They will set you back anything from £70 upwards. Not cheap but you'll get years out of them.

The Yamaha SLB 200 is a good instrument. Cheapest I've seen it £1695 [url="http://www.netmusicalinstruments.co.uk/Yamaha-SLB200-silent-double-bass.html?gclid=CJWAidyqiqcCFQ4f4QodKgLRdw"]here[/url]. Lots of clips of this on youtube.

The best sounding EUB I've heard is the Bespoke Superlight at £1595 [url="http://www.bespokebasses.co.uk/index.html"]here[/url]

The [url="http://www.biarnel.com/eng/liuteria/sticomk2/sticomkii.html"]Biarnel Stico[/url] is also very beautiful and sounds good too. Bit more pricey at around £2000.

I'd keep hold of an electric as well though.

Edited by BassBus

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm selling a few guitars and hope to raise around £450-500. Where have you seen the 2nd hand NS' for £500? I've had a search with not much luck.

I like the feel and uniqueness of the EUB rather than going for the authentic experience and sound so those bases are way more than what I need and have to spend, although they look pretty amazing (though the Bespoke looks a bit like it's made of Meccano!).

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1128579' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:55 PM']Where have you seen the 2nd hand NS' for £500?[/quote]

On here... I've just got one for £550, and they come up time to time on eBay. Now that the newer NXT models are out, the older ones will probably start to surface. Put an item wanted add on here and see if anyone bites :)

Done! Thing the Stagg/Palatino look like they require too many mods, the NS looks really nice from the Youtube vids I've seen. I was thinking about getting one on the Take It Away scheme, but £800 is a bit much and I'm moving house to a place where the rent is an extra £70 a month so £80 p/m on top is a little much.

I could always sell my Warwick if I make the full move to EUB.

[quote name='BassBus' post='1128367' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:14 PM']The [url="http://www.biarnel.com/eng/liuteria/sticomk2/sticomkii.html"]Biarnel Stico[/url] is also very beautiful and sounds good too. Bit more pricey at around £2000.[/quote]

It's around 2000EUR, not pounds, anyway :)

A few things to check when you try to buy and EUB:
Does the instrument stand upright with stability? You can't hold it in place with your left hand, because it needs to move freely.
Does it sound like an acoustic upright, ...-ish? You don't need a taller, vertical precision bass.
Can you bow it?
Is it stylish? :)

By the way, some information on the Stìco can be found here:
[url="http://www.biarnel.com/eng/liuteria/sticomk2/sticomkii.html"]http://www.biarnel.com/eng/liuteria/sticomk2/sticomkii.html[/url]

It was a Palatino I played, pretty good sound to my ears compared with a DB, at least once I'd stuffed a jumper under the bridge to stop some horrible sounding odd harmonics.. It was uncomfortable to play with the extra side bit attached so I played without it and rested the bass against my body which gave me a fair amount of freedom to move my left hand around. The radius meant it could be bowed (although my bowing is terrible) and it looks... well depends who you talk to. Our singer hates it but I like it.

Overall not bad, I'm going to sell some of my redundant guitars and hope a better EUB comes along after that. Thanks for all the advice and tips guys.
Sound clips to follow, got it on 2 songs in the end.

[quote name='BassBus' post='1128630' date='Feb 15 2011, 05:37 PM']You won't go wrong with an NS. They had all sorts of problems with the WAV production in China so now produce the NXT in the Czech Republic. Same place as they make the CR models and they are fantastic.[/quote]

I love my NXT, it's become the go to instrument if I want to just play bass and relax. Need to replace the standard strings though. No idea what to as the choice is a little bewildering...

[quote name='bartelby' post='1132023' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:28 AM']I love my NXT, it's become the go to instrument if I want to just play bass and relax. Need to replace the standard strings though. No idea what to as the choice is a little bewildering...[/quote]
[url="http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php"]THIS[/url] might help you make a choice. Bear in mind DB strings often sound different from one bass to another and these are on acoustic DBs.

I have used Belcantos and Flexocors on my NS and both make it sound so much better. Didn't like the sound of Spirocores on the NS but one guy with an NXT on youtube uses them and they sound fine.

Sorry Emiliano, for the missunderstanding. The figure of £2000 came from one of your past customers with a Stico in UK. That was the price he gave me once he had factored in getting it back to UK.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='1132049' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:49 AM']Sorry Emiliano, for the missunderstanding. The figure of £2000 came from one of your past customers with a Stico in UK. That was the price he gave me once he had factored in getting it back to UK.[/quote]

Still way too much for me, shame as they're amazing looking instruments and the sound clips are beautiful.

I got a compliment on my playing from the guy recording us yesterday, he said I played better than some people he's heard who've played upright for years. Not bad for 5 hours practice! Though the tape markers on the side of the neck probably helped. A lot....

If you haven't already come across them, check out the Clifton upright & mini-upright.

[url="http://www.cliftonbasses.co.uk/"]http://www.cliftonbasses.co.uk/[/url]

Fabulous hand made uprights by Mo Clifton in Blackheath. I've been playing a mini-upright for the last year (short scale length, just a bit longer than a 1/4 size DB) and it's as close to a real DB sound as I've heard from an EUB. His standard upright is a regular 3/4 size & even more striking to look at. They're made to order, and for what they are, very good value - although from what you've said, probably a bit out of your price range at the moment ... worth waiting for though - took me over 10 years from when I first saw & heard one till I could afford to get one!

Oh, and Mo's a really nice guy too, and makes some great bass guitars & other things as well.