Why become a member? ×

New Pickup, Wiring etc...

Waterboarder

Evening guys 'n' dolls...

I bought a cheap Fender p-bass off ebay a while ago that needed some work.

I've just refinished the body, which is looking pretty good and have bought a new pickup, wiring and pots to go in.

I just wanted some general advice on fitting and soldering it all together really and things to avoid or look out for, as its not something Ive done before (if someone could point me in the diretion of a clear and foolproof wiring diagram, that would be real helpful).

Also, whats the deal with lining the cavity with conductive paint/tape? There was none when I bought it so wondered if it was necessary? The main reason I ask is that its a 1980's Japanese one, without the usual pickguard arrangement and the cavity in the back and wiring going through a hole drilled in the body, so may be a little tricky, hmmm...

Any help appreciated - can't wait to finish the project!!!

Cheers :)

Bog standard wiring diagram for a P bass is [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_pbass"]here[/url]

The idea of shielding the cavity is purely to reduce the possibility of 'hum' - you are building a baby faraday cage around the electronics.
Conductive tape is easily fitted into most areas - doesn't matter if it's a front or rear facing cavity.