Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm & Doug Pinnick

mattbass6

I wonder if anyone can help me please? Apart from loving these guys as bass players, I also really love their sound. Does anyone have an information on how they get their sound? I figure there is some overdrive / distortion and chorus plus I just can't figure out what else they may have in the loop. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Cheers folks :)

Matt,
Dug Pinnick has used a few different set-ups over the years, so it depends what sort of era you're thinking of.
The earlier albums he was running an SVT stack for the bass end & using Fender Twin guitar amps for the high end, splitting the frequencies from his basses (mainly a Hamer 12 string & a Fender Jazz at the time) with a crossover. This is the rig he was using when they played St. Davids Hall in 1989 (the "Gretchen goes to Nebraska" tour) & the sound was f***ing immense!

Here's some info on his recent set-up:
[url="http://www.12stringbass.net/master.htm?http://www.12stringbass.net/DougsRig.htm"]http://www.12stringbass.net/master.htm?htt...et/DougsRig.htm[/url]

Edited by RhysP

Sheehan runs two outputs from his bass. From the neck position humbucker to a Hartke LH1000 into Hartke AK410. P Pickup goes through Pearce preamp powered by Hartke HA500 and into AK115. The Pearce has clean and didtorted channels. Essentially the lows can be adjusted without affecting the highs and vice versa. Conversley to popular opinion, Sheehan says he prefers the highs through the 115, which smooths them out a bit and the lows through the 410 for a fast and sharp attack.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1124024' date='Feb 11 2011, 04:39 PM']Matt,
Dug Pinnick has used a few different set-ups over the years, so it depends what sort of era you're thinking of.
The earlier albums he was running an SVT stack for the bass end & using Fender Twin guitar amps for the high end, splitting the frequencies from his basses (mainly a Hamer 12 string & a Fender Jazz at the time) with a crossover. This is the rig he was using when they played St. Davids Hall in 1989 (the "Gretchen goes to Nebraska" tour) & the sound was f***ing immense!

Here's some info on his recent set-up:
[url="http://www.12stringbass.net/master.htm?http://www.12stringbass.net/DougsRig.htm"]http://www.12stringbass.net/master.htm?htt...et/DougsRig.htm[/url][/quote]

Hello mate and I hope all is well with you. Thanks so much for the info. Maybe a little extreme for what I want but fascinating stuff and I am sure ideas will spring from here. Thanks. What are you up to these days? Hopefully see you around. Take care bud.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1124288' date='Feb 11 2011, 08:01 PM']Sheehan runs two outputs from his bass. From the neck position humbucker to a Hartke LH1000 into Hartke AK410. P Pickup goes through Pearce preamp powered by Hartke HA500 and into AK115. The Pearce has clean and didtorted channels. Essentially the lows can be adjusted without affecting the highs and vice versa. Conversley to popular opinion, Sheehan says he prefers the highs through the 115, which smooths them out a bit and the lows through the 410 for a fast and sharp attack.[/quote]

Thank you so much for the information. A lot of that makes so much sense. It isn't until you read it that you think, "Ahh, yes, of course" :)

More research is needed but plenty of food for thought. Thanks again :)

Here's what I do for a more practical version of this. I split my signal via a Hartke bass attack pedal. Parallel (unaffected) output goes to Hartke 350 head and warwick cab for lows and mids. Line out from the bass attack (eq'd for max treble and no bass) goes to little Roland cube 30 guitar amp (eq'd in a similar way). The secret is that although I have a 350 watt bass head, the 30w roland keeps up with it because the highs cut through so well. All I ever is adjust is the volume on each amp for balance between bass and treble.

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1124646' date='Feb 12 2011, 09:03 AM']Here's what I do for a more practical version of this. I split my signal via a Hartke bass attack pedal. Parallel (unaffected) output goes to Hartke 350 head and warwick cab for lows and mids. Line out from the bass attack (eq'd for max treble and no bass) goes to little Roland cube 30 guitar amp (eq'd in a similar way). The secret is that although I have a 350 watt bass head, the 30w roland keeps up with it because the highs cut through so well. All I ever is adjust is the volume on each amp for balance between bass and treble.[/quote]

Wow, that is brilliant. One question though, in your opinion, is there a minimum wattage for the guitar amp? I have just sold a Laney LC15. Would that have done the job? Thanks so much for your help and I am pleased to see that Hartke is appearing a lot. I love Hartke gear :)

[quote name='mattbass6' post='1124673' date='Feb 12 2011, 09:34 AM']Wow, that is brilliant. One question though, in your opinion, is there a minimum wattage for the guitar amp? I have just sold a Laney LC15. Would that have done the job? Thanks so much for your help and I am pleased to see that Hartke is appearing a lot. I love Hartke gear :)[/quote]

I just got rid of a Laney 40w and switched to the 30w without a problem. 15w might struggle a bit, but if it's on top of your bass rig, you'll hear it ok. The Roland is really portable and sounds good. 30w seems ideal. Got it for £99 on ebay.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1124679' date='Feb 12 2011, 09:47 AM']I just got rid of a Laney 40w and switched to the 30w without a problem. 15w might struggle a bit, but if it's on top of your bass rig, you'll hear it ok. The Roland is really portable and sounds good. 30w seems ideal. Got it for £99 on ebay.[/quote]

Nice one. I thought the LC15 might not be man enough for the job so I will borrow a mates 40w and experiment :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1125356' date='Feb 12 2011, 07:58 PM']Stu's tone has changed so much over the years, which tones of his is it that you like?[/quote]

I particularly loving the tones he was getting with Satch especially Live In San Francisco. But generally, his modern day tone is just awesome. I realise he has a very versatile bass with great pick ups and of course his own feel but, does he use many effects etc. Thanks for the help :)