Why become a member? ×

Synth bass sub

DanOwens

So my ridiculously complex signal path looks like this:

And utilises many complex audio sources to achieve 'my sound'.

I'm currently using a LittleMark250 into a TechSoundsystems ND115S. My issue is mainly with the MIDI setup in that it's producing some serious sub which is ever-so-slightly distorting. Most of my other sounds are fine, but the MIDI is quite sub-heavy; I like this for FoH, but I'd like a cleaner sound on stage.

Now the stupid thing is that I use the VLE and VPF controls at about 10 o'clock to boost the sub on stage as I like to feel my bass sound but I know that this is contributing.

So what's the advice? Stop boosting the bass so much? Get a cab that's designed to deal with the sub? Or something like an sfx Thumpinator?

Dan

you need something to cut out the very low end after the DI but before your amp. An EQ pedal?

On my amp, I have the low shelf boosted quite high, but I also have a graphic EQ which I use to cut everything below 50Hz (or 60 or 80, I can't remember what the value is on the lowest slider).

Edited by cheddatom

I also cut the VLE filter out completely. I have the same amp head for small gigs and while that suits the fretless honk I find it works against the lowend creating a distorted muddy low mid sound.

Try turning VLE down to zero and use the regular EQ to out back in whatnot take out (VPF adds bass and treble but cuts mids). So maybe turn up the bass a little?

Shep

One of my (many) plans is to get an undirectional PA sub to use with my combo just for those shaking sub sounds (considering a self build BFM).

Another option you could consider if it's just for you is one of those vibrating pads you stand on, tho I think that's cheating everyone else on stage out of the joys of sub. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1121752' date='Feb 9 2011, 07:16 PM']One of my (many) plans is to get an undirectional PA sub to use with my combo just for those shaking sub sounds (considering a self build BFM).

Another option you could consider if it's just for you is one of those vibrating pads you stand on, tho I think that's cheating everyone else on stage out of the joys of sub. :)[/quote]

I really want someone to try this purely so they can tell me what on earth its like! It seems great in theory but I don't know, I just can't see it working out so great?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1121752' date='Feb 9 2011, 07:16 PM']Another option you could consider if it's just for you is one of those vibrating pads you stand on, tho I think that's cheating everyone else on stage out of the joys of sub. :)[/quote]

I'd rather destroy a lot of ear drums and trouser legs, thanks!

I like the idea of having a BFM that is totally capable of making everyone feel a bit sick.

:)

Have you tried to put your ear very near to the cab and locate the source of distortion? Maybe your problem can be cured with little mechanic work.
I´ve expierience similar things in the post which turned out in one case that the speaker grille was resonating and in another case the reflex port was too small with sharp edges and hence created this type of "distortion" (think flute).

Edited by jensenmann