Why become a member? ×

Bass EQ Pedals?

NJE

Hi all,

I run a passive Fender Jazz into a Markbass LittleMark II and the sound is great, but I am just starting a second covers band where I could do with changing my sound. I will need to change for individual songs and in songs, so fingerstyle to slap and also maybe add some valve type tones for some rock stuff (although valve tones not essential). Just some basic tone shaping that will give me more than just changing pickups.

I have been looking at the Sansamp Programmable Bass DI but cant seem to find any comprehensive reviews or thoughts here on basschat. I am worried that the sansamp wont do super clean and will have too much of its own sound.

Would I be better with a Tonehammer or EBS Microbass or just get a Boss EQ? thoughts and opinions would be great.

[quote name='NJE' post='1118940' date='Feb 7 2011, 02:37 PM']Hi all,

I run a passive Fender Jazz into a Markbass LittleMark II and the sound is great, but I am just starting a second covers band where I could do with changing my sound. I will need to change for individual songs and in songs, so fingerstyle to slap and also maybe add some valve type tones for some rock stuff (although valve tones not essential). Just some basic tone shaping that will give me more than just changing pickups.

I have been looking at the Sansamp Programmable Bass DI but cant seem to find any comprehensive reviews or thoughts here on basschat. I am worried that the sansamp wont do super clean and will have too much of its own sound.

Would I be better with a Tonehammer or EBS Microbass or just get a Boss EQ? thoughts and opinions would be great.[/quote]

Sansamp definitely imparts its own sound, but can still do super clean. I love mine, I use it with a 5 string in an acoustic pop band and also with a Jazz getting really dirty grinding bass sounds.

Very versatile pedal.

Edited by TomTFS

I had a Sansamp Programmable Bass DI but sold it after a while - I could never get comfortable with how it affects the mid's. That's just me tho - I'm not comfortable with programmable stuff and stored settings, etc. It may well be perfect for you. If it's a variation on your clean tone, the Boss GEB-7 pedal is a great solution - it's just simple and easy to get a good, usable sound. For overdrive - I found the CatalinBread SFT amazing for tonal variety.

I'm also playing through a Markbass head, an LMK.

Whatever you do avoid the Boss EQ.

I've had your exact rig and bass. The Sansamp is easy simple to use and will give you a nice tubey sound. The programmable DI is great for switching between sounds quickly. The blend is great between the tubey sounds.

The MircoBass is awesome, but very complicated to find sounds IMHO. I love it, but it's a bit fidgety and more expensive.

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for all your comments. I guess I have to get out and try and play with a few of these pedals and see what sticks. My main concern with the Sansamp was it colouring the sound a bit too much and that seems to be echoed in a few comments you have all made. The GEB-7 looks fairly straight forward but quite expensive for a one trick pony.

The EBS Microbass does look a bit OTT but I do like the idea of the headphone amp and from what I have heard it is very clean with some grit when you need it. The Tonehammer again looks great with some great tones, and i am also looking at the new Eden WTDI as I used to love my Eden Head.

There is too much choice, I think I need to play these things rather than just buy something unseen. Cheers for your thoughts.

I have an LMK II and a Sansamp BDDI. Its great for fattening up your tone-really versatile- small and well made / reliable. Does colour the sound ( as it should ) but does sound better than straight in to the amp. The LMK is a little too clean so this unit adds a little warmth. Mind you a bass playing pal once had a look at my rig and as I only use very small differences in tone with/ without Sansamp he could nt tell whether it was on or not! A little goes a long way with this unit. I use a Bass Pod XY live now so if you are interested would sell the Sansamp- mint and boxed. Its the Deluxe version with 6 programmable sounds. Dont know what they are worth?

Bob

Well I have still not managed to find a shop with any pedals worth trying so it might have to be a trip to Bass Direct. In the emantime the situation has changed slightly and I might need a DI as well as the band I am playing with want to do bigger gigs and so I will be going through the PA.

Not to keen on the mid scoop of the Sansamp I keep reading about as I like my mids, so looking like EBS, MXR, or tonehammer. Only thing is that the Tonehammer has 18v supply if I remember and I would be looking at a power block to do all pedals so that could be an issue. Not sure what the battery consumption is like on them.

I also use a passive PJ bass and a Markbass LMII. Also Im in a covers band and the only 2 pedals I need to take with me are the DHA VT2 and EHX Microsynth. With the DHA VT2 I can switch to clean solidstate tone of the Markbass to more warmer tones with the 1st channel of the VT2 engaged then total 60's overdrive with the 2nd channel which is ideal for certain Cream/Hendrix/Zepplin covers. The MicroSynth with abit of tweaking between songs covers the fuzz for Muse covers etc, the Octave/Organ sound for The Doors, even a decent blagged distortion with the higher "octave" and guitar" faders maxed up then running that into the 1st channel of the VT2. Immensely versatile!

• 1 month later...

If you are really interested in EQ mainly, our Para Driver DI pedal would probably be a better choice. As it has a wide ranging adjustable midrange control as well as our SansAmp tube emulation circuitry. Any of our products that have a blend control can be dialed in for total flat response. The reason behind the blend control is that it's been a common studio practice for years to mic a bass guitar amp and also record the direct bass sound as well and mix both together. We just give you this feature in a pedal. While our Bass Driver DI does have a more modern mid-scoop dip around 750Hz you can raise the midrange by reducing the treble and bass content whereas the Para Di pedal is more open ended in it's overall tonal character. The problem some have at times with the BDDI is more about how the EQ of the pedal interacts with the EQ of their bass rig.

Another option if your bass amp has an efx loop is to run the preamp of your amp and one of our pedals in parallel and then use an A/B box to toggle between the two preamp's back into the efx return of your amp. That way you know have a channel switching amp with two discrete preamps that can be set for optimum use.