Why become a member? ×

Bass drivers

basses

Hey folks

I've just installed a pair of Eminence BASSLITE S2010 8ohm 10 NEO 150watt into an old peavey TX2010 cab

The old cab was great but one of the drivers finally packed in after getting on for 20yrs of abuse. i decided rather than replace one driver i'd go for a pair of these new fangled neo whatchamacallits.

Took the cab to a little bar gig i had last week. Talk about disappointing. These things had no guts and were breaking up at very low volume. Checked em they're both working and in phase.

Am i missing something. Are these drivers in some way unsuitable?

[quote name='basses' post='1117798' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:00 AM']Are these drivers in some way unsuitable?[/quote]
They're very good drivers. Whether they're suitable for your cab is a different question entirely. Ideally they'd have the same or very close to the same T/S specs and midrange response as the drivers you replaced.

Ported cabs are tricky beasts, both the volume of the cab and the size of the ports have to be matched to the speakers you use in them. If the cab is too big then it squashes all the bass out, too small and it cuts out early and gives you a bass hump. The port has to tune to the resonance of the speaker, too high and the speaker is uncontrolled at the low end, too low and it will do nothing worthwhile.

Putting any old speaker, even good ones in a cab is just like putting new strings on your bass but not bothering to tune them. Unlikely to sound good!

If you can give us the internal dimensions of the cab and the size and shape of the port(s) we might be able to suggest some mods which will tune the cab.

I don't know if it's common to all Eminence neos but the 10" deltalite IIs I used certainly needed a break in period of a few hours bassy music before they started sounding any good. To start with they sounded as described by the OP.

If after a few hours recorded music pumping through them they haven't improved, try simply blocking the port (try and make it reasonably airtight) to see if that improves things - if so, the cab tuning is probably off.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1119588' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:38 PM']I don't know if it's common to all Eminence neos but the 10" deltalite IIs I used certainly needed a break in period of a few hours bassy music before they started sounding any good. To start with they sounded as described by the OP.[/quote]

Agree, this was my experience. I wouldn't say they weren't good from the off...but not as a successful swap that I thought it would be..it got better but still needed tuning