Why become a member? ×

'51 re-issue Fender P-bass, pickup FELL OUT!

I played a gig last night with my P-bass, and the pickup literally fell out!!

The pickups on the '51s appear to just be glued on, and the coil wire soldered directly onto two terminals...

I have attached a few photos...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I play with my thumb anchored onto the pickup, so this is obviously a bit of a problem for my playing style..

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1117709' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:40 PM']shouldn'y be a problem with your playing style. the flatwork is crewed down and the poles just need putting back in those holes with some superglue. be dang careful with those coil wires! more delicate than a red wine hangover.[/quote]

But how does the pickup actually connect to the rest of the electronics..? Maybe I'm being really dumb, but I just can't figure out how the signal gets to the pots from the pickup as there are no wires to connect to it :)

Thanks for your reply though! :)

Ive just had a look at mine, and I see what you mean
The lower former is screwed on, leaving the coil and top former attached to that lower former in some way, I cant really see how.
The two ends of the coil are fixed to the top of the bottom former, and then the black and white connectors soldered to them.
It sounds like yours have become detached, and you need to find the two ends and then reattach them.

this is very fiddly, and I suspect you may have to send it away for a rewind or buy another
You could try wizard pickups

If you are desperate I have one you can borrow

Edited by bumnote

It's not completely unheard of, although usually the bobbin top comes off on it's own leaving the coil in place. It is caused by applying too much pressure with the thumb and/or occasionally when digging in hard the E string gets caught under the edge of the bobbin and pops it off. With some skillful soldering this pup could possibly be saved but as it stands it is fecked.