Why become a member? ×

Very simple, bit stuck.

Crikey!

Does anybody know if the Sennheiser e608 microphone is wireless? i can't seem to find the answer...

The trumpet and sax players in my band are looking for some clip on mics...

We're a bit stumped.

Does anybody know a thing or 2 about this kinda stuff?

We usually have them playing in to a shure sm57 each but they wana move about and what not...

It's be for live stuff only, not recording.

If anyone can help thatd be fantastic, i know theres some very technical minded people on here :)

sorry if this is in the wrong place too, wasn't really sure where to put it so feel free to move it.

Thanks

Ben

Hi
That's just the mic. Then you need a wireless system to get the signal to the PA.
You need to read the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=10362&view=findpost&p=109878"]Wireless systems licencing guide thread[/url]
and then ask Sennheiser which transmitter unit you can use the mics with.
If you are lucky they will work with the [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=senfp12"]FreePort presenter set [/url]
and cost you about £130 per setup. You'll need a cable from the mic to the transmitter (try OBBM on here for that)
If not you may have to use something more expensive.

Personally when I'm saxing I like to use a mic on a stand so I can get off mic sometimes (for tuning, noodling, etc)
They will also find it a bit tricky sorting monitoring all over the stage unless you use in ear monitoring.

I use (and sell :) ) clip on sax and trumpet reflectors that attach to an SM57/58 or Sennheiser MD421 (or anything like that) and bounce the sound back at the player ..

hmm i didnt think about that actually, thats gona work out fairly expensive and awkward it seems.

It's not me playing so i'm not the best person for this but im trying to help out as much as i can. I'll have a chat to the guys about monitoring and how much they're willing to spend too and see what would be the best option.

I'll mention the reflefctors too and see if they're intersted :)

Cheeers :huh:

Ben

[quote name='Crikey!' post='128344' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:55 PM']wooow that website is amazingly useful. thanks a lot :)[/quote]

Surf for prices though .. I've not checked many on that site but the AKG bug is currently about 80 quid in Sound Control whereas he's got them on for £200!

There's also Thomman radio systems like this one:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_tws_lavalierset_854mhz.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_tws_lav...rset_854mhz.htm[/url]
If your choice of clip-on mic will work with that transmitter then it's just £80 for the wireless bit (still plus the mic of course ...) oh and "This wireless system is only licensed for use in Germany - please enquire about countries/frequencies. "
So you may not want to go that way after reading the licencing thread :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='128351' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:07 PM']Surf for prices though .. I've not checked many on that site but the AKG bug is currently about 80 quid in Sound Control whereas he's got them on for £200![/quote]

For sure .. go ahead and search for prices etc but the guys at sax.co.uk are very knowledgeable in there field. Phill the owner is saxophonist is in a band I used to play in , and still dep for occasionally .
It might be worth seeing if he can match a lower quote , worse thing he can say is no :)

Good luck,

Nick.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='128467' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:20 PM']For sure .. go ahead and search for prices etc but the guys at sax.co.uk are very knowledgeable in there field. Phill the owner is saxophonist is in a band I used to play in , and still dep for occasionally .
It might be worth seeing if he can match a lower quote , worse thing he can say is no :)

Good luck,

Nick.[/quote]

Hey Nick, I wasn't saying they are not good guys .. Just a bit of general advice to shop around, in case Crikey is new to web shopping :huh:
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='128475' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:43 PM']Hey Nick, I wasn't saying they are not good guys .. Just a bit of general advice to shop around, in case Crikey is new to web shopping :)
OG[/quote]
Hey I know that mate .. it's all good :huh:
I just pointed him that way because Phill kitted out the brass section in the function band I was in with wireless, so I know he's been doing his homework on it .
I'm not affilliated with the company or anything like that.
If I was I would've pm'd him ;) LOL

Nick.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='128476' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:53 PM']Hey I know that mate .. it's all good :)
I just pointed him that way because Phill kitted out the brass section in the function band I was in with wireless, so I know he's been doing his homework on it .
I'm not affilliated with the company or anything like that.
If I was I would've pm'd him ;) LOL

Nick.[/quote]

Cooool

By the way it's "Horns" not "Brass" :huh: Us sax (woodwind) players get sensitive about it ;)

[quote name='crez5150' post='129463' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:04 PM']Be careful as a lot of wireless systems do not support Dynamic mics..... if you need info on Sennheiser systems let me know as I am an employee.

cheers

Jay[/quote]

Hey brilliant! I'll make a note of that having used a 421 for many years and just bought 4 wireless (vocal) mic sytems :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='129463' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:04 PM']Be careful as a lot of wireless systems do not support Dynamic mics..... if you need info on Sennheiser systems let me know as I am an employee.

cheers

Jay[/quote]

So can you use a clip on sax mic and the freeport lavalier (presenter mic) transmitter/receiver?

cheers

Jay[/quote]

That suprises me Jay, but I'll take your word for it. Is it a problem with the impedance/output level, or do they have a non switchoffable phantom supply. Good job I've never tried the E608 into a wireless system, or I may have learned the expensive way.

Clive.

[quote name='Crikey!' post='130286' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:49 PM']ppphhhwwooooaaaar this is getting complicated.

I'll direct the guys in the direction of this and see if they can make sense of it...

I'm perfectly happy for the horns to stay put in front of their 57s...

But thanks a lot, some really useful info :)[/quote]

Yup Keep It as Simple as possible unless absolutely necessary :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='130524' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:09 AM']Clip-on horn mics are a great idea, but are they man enough for some jobs? Baritone sax for example?[/quote]

Ha ha ha Nice of you to think of us Rich :)
Static it's got to be a Sennheiser 421. Expensive and has a delicate clip - they have been making these for about 30 years now and still haven't fixed the delicate clip problem ... However the sound is superb live and you'll often see pro sound systems use these for tenors and baritones, as well as drums :huh:
The alternative is an EV RE20.. Gorgeous sound but a tad delicate ...

Of course an SM57/58 on a stick is cheap and good enough for rock and bad sound men/ loud guitar bands

Wireless/ Clip on ... I've been reading "Sax on the Web" and lots of people are using lapel mics, carefully aimed across the bell at the G hole rather than into it and getting pretty OK results.
Most used seems to be the Audio Technica ATR 35 Lapel Microphone. which is just 23 quid. You may need a preamp though depending on what you plug it into ...
But It would be worth trying the Sennheiser Freeport "Presenter" wireless system an its lapel clip to see how it is.