Why become a member? ×

Suitable 10" speaker

rubis

Evening Gents
I have a Trace Elliot BLX130....the one with the odd vented front.......and it needs a new speaker.

I have read lots of threads here about "speaker science" and I am baffled......no pun intended.

What would be a suitable replacement or upgrade speaker......the original was a Celestion so I'm guessing one of their drivers would do, although I also believe they used Fane in their cabs.

I like the idea of one of those lightweight neo speakers, its heavy for a little bugger........so how do they compare performance wise?

I'm considering the Celestion BN10 (neo?) or a Fane Sovereign.......anyone got personal experience they would care to share?

thanks

Harry

[quote name='rubis' post='1115694' date='Feb 4 2011, 01:13 PM']What would be a suitable replacement or upgrade speaker...[/quote]
One with the right T/S specs and midrange response. Brand, size, wattage and most of the usual considerations given when choosing drivers tend to be irrelevant. T/S specs explained here:
[url="http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/"]http://www.eminence.com/support/understand...udspeaker-data/[/url]

Good advice, the port is the problem, it means you have to have an exact match. If the T/S parameters are difference the cab won't be tuned and the bass will suffer and the midrange response will determine most of the character of the speaker.

Contact Trace for recommendations, you may also be able to get a re-cone, contact Wembley speakers.