Why become a member? ×

Humbuckers

untune

Does anybody know of a four string soapbar pickup that has double pole pieces for each string like a jazz/precision pickup? Preferably exposed?

I think SD does a 5 string only one, and closed cover soapbars have single large polepieces under the cover as far as I'm aware?

I'd really like to find a jazz humbucker, the kind that looks like a pair of jazzes stuck together but without the join... also for a mid position rather than the bridge...

Thanks for all the replies guys, Essential, that's what I have in mind... the Dual Jazz at the bottom there is the plastic cover I have in mind, the power buckers look ideal too but don't seem to come with covers!

The Novaks are a bit on the expensive side, as for Rio Grande, any idea of a decent supplier?

Mojo Musical Supply in the states do closed covers just like what I'm looking for for a couple of dollars each... wouldn't be too hard to fit a couple of jazz pickups in there, has anybody ordered from them before as I can't seem to find ANY international shipping info whatsoever and don't particularly want to register as a customer just to find out...

Hi Untune

Catswhisker do something that looks like it might be your thing?

[url="http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/page11.html"]http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/page11.html[/url]

I was going to get some special sized hum-j's but...other things got in the way. One day it will happen though!

However, Mr Catswhisker was very knowledgeable and helpful via emails when I made enquiries so you could drop him a line and see what he can do for you?

Jim D

[quote name='untune' post='1112522' date='Feb 2 2011, 03:15 PM']Ahhh scratch that, found a little bit of info but still, if anyone has any experience of them please share, cheers :)[/quote]

Just out of curiosity... i've read about the differences between P and J pickups a million times, but I've never heard much said specifically about the tone of MM and sopabar style pickups. Is there a particular sound to them? I hear loads of people talking about how much they love the MM tone but I've never heard anyone actually describe it, especially in comparison to P's and J's (despite searching!)