Why become a member? ×

Eden WT-1000 power amp question

krispn

Ok so I've been posted this question and am at a bit of a loss to answer it 100% confidently.

I have an Eden power amp that can run in stereo - two inputs and two out puts - but a potential buyer has asked if he can run the channels independently so one channel running the bass signal clean to a 4 ohm cab and the second channel running effects to a 8 ohm cab.

I've tried to find out as much info as I can but keep coming up short. In my mind I think it would be fine but you would naturally get diffent output volume due to the cabs being different ohm ratings.

Can anyone point me in the right direction cause I don't wanna sell this only to have it meltdown on the guy.

So to recap can I run two different impedance cabs off this Eden WT1000 power amp without creating a black hole?

Cheers for any advice

I'm not familliar with the WT1000 [i]per se[/i], but I do use a power amp myself as a part of my gig/practice rig.
Can you bridge the WT1000? If so, what's the lowest impedance it'll tolerate in bridged mode? In 2 channel (read: Stereo) mode, it [i]ought[/i] to be [b]half[/b] that per channel.

An example;
My QSC PLX1202 will give 1200w into 4 Ohms/700w into 8 Ohms in bridged mono.
It'll also give 2x600w into 2 Ohms (per channel) or 2x350 into 4 Ohms per channel, and I guess it'll do about 2x175 into 8 Ohms per channel.

I'd assume that the WT1000 has facilities akin to those on the QSC- thermal/dc/short protection, LF roll-off filters, clip limiting. All of these can help prevent the aforementioned meltdown.

You are right about the potential for differing output from the two cabs due to impedance differences. It may not be so bad, as other factors come into play, such as cabinet efficiency, and even the frequency response. If the WT1000 has 2 channel attenuators on the front, these could be used to match the cabinets' respective levels.

Hope that helps a bit.

Alex.

The 2 channels of your amp are actually 2 separate amplifiers sharing only the power supply - and the case. You can run whatever you like through each side and adjust their volume independently to compensate for any difference in volume. As long as each channel is loaded with a cab of the minimum required impedance, there's no problem.

Edited by dincz

[quote name='krispn' post='1110824' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:54 AM']That's what I expected but thought it better to seek the collective knowledge.

The amp will do 900w bridged at 2 ohms if the memory serves me correct.

Thanks again guys.

Possibly the greatest web resource ever :)

Gavin[/quote]

AND you got a consensus of opinion, too!

[quote name='krispn' post='1110824' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:54 AM']The amp will do 900w bridged at 2 ohms if the memory serves me correct.[/quote]

I think it's more like 450W @ 2 ohms per channel or 1000W @ 4 ohms bridged. The minimum nominal impedance when bridged is always twice the minimum impedance per channel (because each output stage is only seeing half the load when bridging).