Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Compromise strings advice?

fatback

Can anyone recommend strings that would be ok to learn arco but also with tension low enough for rockin' out without leaving the tips of my fingers on the floor. Serious slapping not on the cards though.

Probably asking a lot, i know. But my current strings (Pirastro Jazzes) are pretty stiff, and by all accounts not great for bowing either.

As always, thanks for your thoughts. :)

Edited by fatback

Without knowing your playing experience it's difficult to give advice. Jazzers are difficult to bow but should not necessarily feel excessively stiff. Commonly used hybrid strings are Obligatos and Evah Pirazzis. Both should be reasonably easy to bow and produce a good pizz sound. You should look at other factors such as string height and perhaps your technique if you are feeling fatigue with pizz.

Not wishing to patronise you or anything, but why are you using the tips of your fingers for pizz?

My tutor always nags the hell out of me if I dont use the full length of my plucking fingers... and I always forget to keep position fingers 1 & 2 in place at the 3rd position!

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1110208' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:35 PM']Not wishing to patronise you or anything, but why are you using the tips of your fingers for pizz?

My tutor always nags the hell out of me if I don't use the full length of my plucking fingers... and I always forget to keep position fingers 1 & 2 in place at the 3rd position![/quote]

Don't worry about that! My ignorance is boundless. But I've no shame :)

No, i'm using the sides of my fingers alright, unless things get hectic. True, I'm not using my right arm enough, and I'm working on that.

I'm fine with the string tension for the left hand, but i had this idea that less tension might make rockier material faster to play.

This has come up cos I probably need a new bridge (action on E seems too low at 7.5mm and I've run out of adjustment), and might as well get new strings fitted at the same time. I just didn't want to end up with strings I could slap but couldn't bow.