Why become a member? ×

Wal experts needed

gary mac

I've spent sometime today giving my Wal Pro 1 four string a spring clean and polish.

Found myself getting increasingly irritated by a past owners heavy handedness. He has managed to burr a number of screws to the bridge and used all sorts of odd screws to replace what he's lost or damaged. Some of the screws are black cross heads, some are chrome and some are slotted, it's a right old mish mash.

Can any of you Wal owners/enthusiasts tell me what screws would have been used originally?

The bridge is finished in black.

Thanks in advance.

Gary.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1108645' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:48 PM']Some of the screws are black cross heads, some are chrome and some are slotted, it's a right old mish mash.[/quote]

The originals are almost certainly the black cross heads.

I don't think I've ever seen a production bass that uses flat head screws for anything visible! *

EDIT: * and... cue the deluge of people telling me that the HagHof LegWinder 2 string bass from 1954 used them... :)

Edited by icastle

Do you mean the screws fixing the bridge to the bass or the screws on the bridge saddles?

On my Mk3 Custom the bridge "housing" is black and the bridge saddle mechanism is chrome. All the screws are chrome. You could probably get the right ones from Paul Herman at Wal.

The bridge is now nicely refurbished.

Apart from the existing screws all being burred up and just wrong, I found that none of them were biting properly.
Once I had the bridge removed I filled the existing holes with wood and glue. Left it overnight to harden up and then refitted the cleaned up bridge with all new screws.

Lemon oiled the fretboard and body, fitted new strings and then rehearsed it with the band.

I'm sure it sounded better than it ever has in all the time I've owned it. To good to sell.