Why become a member? ×

Nano muff or double muff

willyf87

WotchaWill!
Can't comment on the Nano Muff, but I testify to great results in that exact area with a SansAmp, using it almost as an "overdriven valve-sim" instead of a DI, ie; like a regular(and indestructible) stomp box. It became like having a "3rd pickup", in fact, though I could always use it to push the front end signal(and as a DI for a change!). I always feel it works [u]with[/u] one's bass, enhancing its natural tone but adding gravel..yet completely reshaping a tone if needed.

I would be blending it with clean signal, just interested in something in a nano casing that would literally just break up my signal give a slight bit of distortion, I also wondered about the double muff. I use a blogger at the moment but I'm not really using it to it's full potential as i use it with the drive setting so low. I much prefer the overdrive my graphic fuzz produces for a more full on effect.

I'd think the MXR would do a grand job and you'd have bucketloads of out-and-out distortion if you needed it in reserve.
I do like the compressed "Ampeg in overdrive" vibe of the Sansamp but it could be said that, after all, its main function is "just" a bass DI, with the tonal extra/gravel of something approaching an outboard "valve pedal" if needed. Mind you, there are first-generation Sansamp BDDIs around which are far less costly than the later digital version.
Given that cost is a factor, I'd actually reckon that Behringer might be worth a look; I gather a Behringer might be hissy and might have quality-control issues but certainly would keep cost down. (Also, apologies Will, I'd also forgotten that size is a factor too.)

the D+ will also lose bottom end.
I've tried most of the MXR boxes at one time or another - I'm a bit of an mxr whore!. Unfortunately, they all seem to lose the bottom end to one degree or another. The guitar ones that worked the best though were the Distortion 3 and GTOD which only dropped a little of the low end.

Their bass stuff is great. If you can, try the blowtorch. I know it's known to be more of a synthy fuzz, but at lower gains it can do a reasonable OD

On another tack, have you considered the Digitech bad monkey?
sound great and can be found secondhand for not a lot - around £45 new, £30ish used.
It gets a lot of loe around here, and Max at sfx mods them for more bass too

Edited by dudewheresmybass

Hmmm, I think I'm going to wait until I get my new blender and see what sounds can be made through the blogger I already have. It has quite a nice drive to it and was thinking I might use it at higher drive levels and get something tiny for grit but I'll see what happens!!

I did have the blowtorch but really didn't get on with it. Just sounds a bit crap to my ears lol.

Edited by willyf87