Why become a member? ×

what Adhesives to use?

andysleigh

Hi

I'v started to buy stuff to make my own Gibson RD bass, but i am a bit unsure of what adhesive to use for

glueing the body up. which are 3 planks for maple.

the neck into the body. I have bought a Gibson kalamazoo neck, which is a set in neck.

fingerboard onto the neck.

thanks

Andy

Edited by andysleigh

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1106587' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:04 PM']It's not normal pva. You clamp it up good and tight and the glue joint actually goes harder than the wood.[/quote]

Exactly... it's all down to clamping it tightly and leaving it long enough to actually bond.

normal pva is easily strong enough. you dont even need the cross-linking waterproof stuff since few people immerse their basses in water too often.
I like to use 2-part epoxy like araldite to glue a fingerboard to a neck. it saves having to clamp it quite so hard for so long so you don't get little clamp marks down your neck. If you have the right offcuts and clamps you can avoid this anyway, I just like the smell of araldite in the morning.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1106582' date='Jan 28 2011, 06:59 PM']Titebond should see you nicely. Just remember to clamp it up firmly.[/quote]
Agreed. I used Titebond 3 to mend some garden furniture last year. It is [i]ridiculously[/i] powerful stuff. Sets harder than Araldite.

evostick is certainly hard enough, but is not the traditional choice for guitarwork. you generally want a glue with a longer drying time. evo clearly says quick drying on the bottle. titebond original is the one if you're not using hide glue. it's supposedly the yellow stuff you want although i believe thats just a dye. you definately want wood glue, and not adhesive.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1107036' date='Jan 29 2011, 10:36 AM']I used

Put my full weight on a scarf joint and it never budged and considering my poor skiils it must be good gear.[/quote]

This is what luthiers reccomend to me. I think it doesn't have the tendency to creep over time.