Why become a member? ×

New To Upright

fender73

Ok, new to the upright thing - who should i be listening to to get a feel for the instrument? (awaiting an EUB any day now). I'm looking at incorporating it in my covers band set on some tunes (bluesy/rocky set with the usual wedding tunes in it :-) )

Thanks guys and gals

Graeme

[quote name='fender73' post='1104485' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:24 PM']Ok, new to the upright thing - who should i be listening to to get a feel for the instrument? (awaiting an EUB any day now). I'm looking at incorporating it in my covers band set on some tunes (bluesy/rocky set with the usual wedding tunes in it :-) )

Thanks guys and gals

Graeme[/quote]

Hey hey a fellow noob at the upright! I'm only a few weeks ahead of you - if that. What sort of EUB have you ordered?

[quote name='fender73' post='1104485' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:24 PM']Ok, new to the upright thing - who should i be listening to to get a feel for the instrument? (awaiting an EUB any day now). I'm looking at incorporating it in my covers band set on some tunes (bluesy/rocky set with the usual wedding tunes in it :-) )

Thanks guys and gals

Graeme[/quote]

Welcome to the world of upright playing Graeme. Once you've started, you won't go back!

My only suggestion is try, at this early stage, to get a lesson or two in. It will save a whole lot of pain later on.

John

Thanks guys and gals

Graeme[/quote]

Welome to the world of EUB. When i started off, i listened to a lot of early Elvis/Jonny Cash type stuff. Mainly root/fifth type stuff, with the odd walking line. Fun to play, and not too taxing on the hand strength.
As mentioned, it's worth having a few lessons to help posture, finger use etc.

Nige

For bluesy stuff I'd reccommend 'Spirit of the Century' by the Five Blind Boys of Alabama with the ledgendary Danny Thompson on double bass. You know the intro music on the first series of 'The Wire'? That's Danny Thompson.

For the rockier side of things, have a listen to the 'sunrise over sea' album by The John Butler Trio. Bass dude Shannon Birchall does some very funk sounding stuff under John Butler's slide guitars.