Why become a member? ×

1st Uni Project

Bankai

Just finished my first recording piece for uni. I'm studying Music and Sound Technology.

This song was all studio recorded with not a bit of MIDI in sight. There's a few things left to do to the piece but I'm kind of happy with how it's sounding :)

[url="http://jekyll.mcalpine.ch/AlexMcAlpine_RockAndRoll1.mp3"]http://jekyll.mcalpine.ch/AlexMcAlpine_RockAndRoll1.mp3[/url]

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='1106947' date='Jan 29 2011, 05:58 AM']13 microphones.

The bass drum is almost inaudible though due to an over active multipressor. I'll adjust it for the version I submit and then hopefully it'll be more prominent[/quote]

Do you not think 13 mica is overkill?? You don't need that many to get a goo. Balanced mix...

Well if we run through it we have:

Overhead Left and Right
A microphone for each of the toms
2 microphones to each snare drum in order to get both the drum and snare sound.
A microphone to the hi-hat
A microphone to the ride cymbal to bring out it's definition
2 microphones to the bass drum. One captures the overall sound and another the attack.

So there we have our 13.

ideally I would have placed two microphones at the far end of the room in order to get a nice natural reverbish noise, but I didn't have enough stands.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1118677' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:37 AM']Well if we run through it we have:

Overhead Left and Right
A microphone for each of the toms
2 microphones to each snare drum in order to get both the drum and snare sound.
A microphone to the hi-hat
A microphone to the ride cymbal to bring out it's definition
2 microphones to the bass drum. One captures the overall sound and another the attack.

So there we have our 13.

ideally I would have placed two microphones at the far end of the room in order to get a nice natural reverbish noise, but I didn't have enough stands.[/quote]

Kool.... Not saying its wrong or anything.... there are no rules as such..... just in my experience it seems overkill

That's a big improvement. The vocals could do with coming down a bit though, they just seem to drown it out a bit. Also, not criticising your singing, but I'd give it a bit more aggression in there. Imagine some dirty bastard is trying to chat your missus up whilst his pet elephant is standing on your foot.