Why become a member? ×

Who Has A Di (or Equivalent On Their Board)

DanOwens

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1130691' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:25 AM']I never knew about this. We get phantom sent anyway since our synth player takes it for his DIs.

Thanks

Dan[/quote]

Im not sure if anyone answered your question about the BDDI having a un effected output but yes, it has a direct out (on jack only though) as well as effected XLR/jack.
From the manual.
"PARALLEL OUTPUT: 1/4 unbalanced direct output is hard-wired parallel with input jack. Instrument signal passes through, UNEFFECTED, to the input of your stage amplification system."

With the BDDI you can turn the tube effect off by turning the blend control all the way to the left. This will leave you with just active EQ.

Ive not used the DI out from mine as i will normally use the DI on the back of my amp, with it switched to pre EQ but its handy to have more than one, just in case.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1130702' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:39 AM']Im not sure if anyone answered your question about the BDDI having a un effected output but yes, it has a direct out (on jack only though) as well as effected XLR/jack.
From the manual.
"PARALLEL OUTPUT: 1/4 unbalanced direct output is hard-wired parallel with input jack. Instrument signal passes through, UNEFFECTED, to the input of your stage amplification system."

With the BDDI you can turn the tube effect off by turning the blend control all the way to the left. This will leave you with just active EQ.

Ive not used the DI out from mine as i will normally use the DI on the back of my amp, with it switched to pre EQ but its handy to have more than one, just in case.[/quote]
I also use a SansAmp - the Paradriver DI, which is the same as the BDDI, but with an added mid-sweep control instead of the 'Presence' control. Works very well with my GK running clean, and the SansAmp sitting in the effects loop running an effected DI out to the PA desk. I've sometimes troubled the PA sound guy with a clean DI out from the GK and the effected DI out from the SansAmp, but that just seems to cause grief, so I've stopped doing it. I guess I ran into the same phasing issues that Dan's been dealing with. If I was that bothered about getting a clean signal into the PA, I'd have the 'clean' cab mic'ed up.

I've looked at the multiple amps/multiple cabs setup (I'm currently running a tri-amped setup at home in my 'bass corner'). It does need some attention to detail, and if I was using the setup live or in the studio for recording/re-amping, I'd probably want at least five channels free on the desk (clean DI out from head, effected DI out from the SansAmp, the low-mixed 1x15 cab with a Sennheiser D112 or similar, a couple of mics on the effected 1x12 cab(s), and maybe a Beta 57 on the 'clean' 4x10 cab). I can foresee a horrible mess of phase cancellation, and other nastyness, even if the cabs are in iso rooms or gobo'd off from one another to reduce spillover.

HTH,
Ian