Why become a member? ×

Green Day - When I Come Around

KevB

Anyone play this regularly in their set? Been asked to look at it for a jam but strugling wth it at speed. Any tricks to make it easier? Is it better to start the riff on the D string (4th fret) or A string (9th fret)? I always seem to struggle with the really repetitive ones!

If you're having problems with the speed it might be useful to do it with hammer ons/pull offs. I know it's not actually played like that, but you can play quicker that way and if it's for a gig in say a couple of days and you won't have much time to practice, then it makes life easier. If you want to play it as Mike Dirnt plays it, I'd say use a pick and just keep practicing.

Oh, and I always play it 4th fret D string, but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Edited by Tait

Cheers guys, I think it's just that I haven't played at all for the last 2 weeks and then to jump in on this one was probably a bit optimistic. It's only for a jam session so as long as it's vaguely right it'll be OK. I quite fancy having a go at Cat Steven's Wild World as a contrast!

Just had a little go at that riff for the verse, is a bit a nobbly one, especially given the speed. Easier with a pick (but I can pull it off with my fingers - much to my surprise I must say) and I needed to move it up the fretboard, playing the F on the 8th fret of the A. I found it a lot easier to play up around the dusty frets I don't often use :)

Root notes Wayne? I must say I'm a little disappointed with you :). Although I let you go as it was the gig where the band formed at 6 and started gigging at 7?

I might add I'm probably the worst player on the forum so ignore anything I say :lol:

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='1101877' date='Jan 25 2011, 11:16 AM']Just had a little go at that riff for the verse, is a bit a nobbly one, especially given the speed. Easier with a pick (but I can pull it off with my fingers - much to my surprise I must say) and I needed to move it up the fretboard, playing the F on the 8th fret of the A. I found it a lot easier to play up around the dusty frets I don't often use :)

Root notes Wayne? I must say I'm a little disappointed with you :). Although I let you go as it was the gig where the band formed at 6 and started gigging at 7?

I might add I'm probably the worst player on the forum so ignore anything I say :lol:[/quote]

The very same band, I did get the little twiddle in though.

Hammer ons, the savior of many a difficult track.

I'd seen sat with Down's Lysergik Funeral Procession for a week, blitzing through at pace and with no real consistency (even a single dropped note is a pain, isn't it?) until I thought about them.

I'm mimicking the guitar line, and doing so very nicely indeed. Which is just as well, as someone has to cover for my guitarist.