Why become a member? ×

What Internet Resources Are There To Promote Original Music

andyonbass

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice to help an original artist get their songs out to a wider audience. she's aware of the three sites mentioned above, and has had a track played on a BBC local radio initiative, but what else can she do? Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Andy

Bandcamp's great for hosting your stuff and generating sales - much better than ReverbNation. As far as promotion goes, having a Facebook presence is great, but she should definitely add Twitter to her social media repertoire - that's where the "zeitgeist" is right now.

[quote name='paul h' post='1093349' date='Jan 18 2011, 01:13 AM']tumblr is pretty hot right now. Certainly in terms of graphic design and art. I imagine there is a similar audience there for music too.[/quote]

If you want to have an "integrated" online presence, you have to pull in resources from different sites. One thing I've been seeing a bit of is people using AOL's new homepage service, About.me to set up homepages, then using that page to link to their various profiles elsewhere, eg, using Facebook for general "friending" and networking, Twitter for live updates and staying in touch with the zeitgeist, Tumblr for blogging and Bandcamp for music hosting. Granted, Myspazz does almost all of these things, but not very well. I think that was part of its downfall - it tried to do everything, instead of concentrating on doing one or two things very well. I think having separate sites that concentrate on doing one thing very well is the way forward, especially since, with their APIs, they can all now "talk" to each other (eg, Twitter update going straight to Facebook, Tumblr blog going straight to Twitter, etc).