Why become a member? ×

My new G&L L2500 Tribute: problem

mcnach

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1089684' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:00 PM']I briefly planned that my latest project would have a MM pup in the sweet spot (just happen to have a 'ray '09 in my parts box :)) and in MFD in the neck position. The twist would be that you couldn't mix them, you would either have the choice of Stingray (with proper pre) or L-1000. The 2 most awesome basses built into one. :lol: I shelved it though when I decided that the 2 completely different circuits sharing the same knobs would be a nightmare to design.... besides the 2 pups side by side looked pish. :)[/quote]

maybe if the MFD runs totally passive?
I'm not a P-bass fan, but the neck MFD has some of what I do like about the P-bass, without all the stuff I dislike, and a dollop of its own character that I really dig. Passive sounds nice.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1089717' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:22 PM']heh, I think I understand you, this was mine at university:

:lol:[/quote]

HA! read 'em and weep boys. The Epitame of Reverse Polish Notation :) The 'Precision', The 'Jazz', The 'Insert your all time classic Bass here'. The HP41-CX....................

[attachment=68786:hp41cx.jpg]

OK this isnt a pic of mine. Thats still in work! If anyone wants pics as proof just PM me :)

Erm am I On Topic or not? Not sure but hey Im sure your all GASing for one :D

A

[quote name='apa' post='1089769' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:49 PM']HA! read 'em and weep boys. The Epitame of Reverse Polish Notation :) The 'Precision', The 'Jazz', The 'Insert your all time classic Bass here'. The HP41-CX....................

[attachment=68786:hp41cx.jpg]

OK this isnt a pic of mine. Thats still in work! If anyone wants pics as proof just PM me :)

Erm am I On Topic or not? Not sure but hey Im sure your all GASing for one :lol:

A[/quote]

Ah, the HP41... wanted one badly at school. But the HP28 series was superior, I'm sorry to tell you :P
As I said, not a big fan of P-bass :D

[quote name='mcnach' post='1089782' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:59 PM']Ah, the HP41... wanted one badly at school. But the HP28 series was superior, I'm sorry to tell you :D
As I said, not a big fan of P-bass :lol:[/quote]

But you cant beat a classic. Mines worth more than what I payed for it!! :)

If its got a '=' sign it aint a HP :)

SSSsSSsSssHHhhHhh CCCcHHHhhhhGGGggggSSSSSHHHHhhHhhh

And now back to the bit with Basses in it...................................

A

[quote name='mcnach' post='1089731' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:32 PM']maybe if the MFD runs totally passive?
I'm not a P-bass fan, but the neck MFD has some of what I do like about the P-bass, without all the stuff I dislike, and a dollop of its own character that I really dig. Passive sounds nice.[/quote]
Aye totally. L-1000 = passive all the livelong day.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1093580' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:29 AM']Ooh that looks nasty. I'm more than willing to alleviate you of your problem mate. :)[/quote]

I think this is a problem I'll suffer by myself :)

It is the first 5-string bass that I don't feel I have to work to hard to adjust to. Yup, even the SUB5 was harder work. The G&L just seems so easy to play and it has a very un-stingray tone, but lovely nevertheless.
The controls were taking me some time to get used to... but it's all falling into place now:

pickup selector: mostly stuck on bridge pickup alone. Occasional forays into neck pickup (fat P-bass like, but not exactly P-bass) and both pickups (huge and bassy).

series/parallel: stuck on parallel. Not a fan of series it seems.

passive/active/active with treble boost: mostly passive. It's nice to add zing and volume by switching to teh active modes, but I really like it passive.

tone controls: both nearly open. The treble one is a good one to play with... cut it entirely and you have a prominent mids-rich sound. Open it up to reduce the perceived dominance of the mids.

I was initially tempted to install a more conventional preamp (like a JE), preamp-crazy as I am. But... I think not. I'll leave it as is at least until I have gigged with it a few times and I can judge better what I'd change, if anything.

Jose - reading this thread, I'm missing it already!!

Definitely gig it before changing the pre-amp. I'm a huge fan of the passive / parallel / bridge pickup combination too. Absolutely fantastic tone live, and covers pretty much everything. Just whack in the active electronics when the drummer and lead guitarist are getting over enthusiastic at the end of the night and you need to cut through!

Edited by simon1964

I mostly run mine passive, and start the bass/treble knobs at about 75-80% then adjust from there. I have mine modded for single inner coils so with both on it's almost like having a third pickup in between and it yields a sweet tone which I love. That setting is parallel only, so I have gravitated towards a preference for passive, but series neck pickup does give some good old school thump if you back off the treble. Not a fan of the treble boost, it's too harsh - more like a finger squeak boost really.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1094237' date='Jan 18 2011, 07:14 PM']Jose - reading this thread, I'm missing it already!!

Definitely gig it before changing the pre-amp. I'm a huge fan of the passive / parallel / bridge pickup combination too. Absolutely fantastic tone live, and covers pretty much everything. Just whack in the active electronics when the drummer and lead guitarist are getting over enthusiastic at the end of the night and you need to cut through![/quote]

Hey Simon!

loving this bass, I'll let it wave at you but it stays with me!!! :)
How's your L2000?

I just expected active tone controls, so I was surprised to find they were passive on the G&L. But after the initial surprise, yep, they are growing on me. The whole thing is just beautiful.
Playing a party on the 12th and I'm thinking I'll unleash the RH450 amp with 6x10" :) and the G&L... I only ever go sub-E with this band in one song, for which I use a D-tuner on my Stingray... but itll be a good set up to try it :lol: