Why become a member? ×

Odd driver distortion...

pantherairsoft

Its not my week with amps and cabs.

Received an EBS 410 today. It was fine when it left the sender and arrived with me with an odd issue

The top right of the 4 drivers has a strange overdrive to it… At first listen it sounds like a vibration, but on lower notes or with the volume turned up its like having an overdrive pedal with a blend and letting about 10% fuzz through…

I have checked everything is tight and am certain it is not a vibration. I've also taken the driver out and there is no noticeable damage it physically.

Unlike normal damaged speakers this driver is letting the full original signal though, but as an extra layer there is this very feint fuzz. Putting you ear up to each driver in turn reveals the sound is coming from just this one. I imagine many people wouldn't even notice it in a rock band setting, but its definitely there. When you sustain a note and it starts to trail off it almost sounds as though that fuzz layer is shifting in pitch or phasing… its hard to put my finger on it but reminds me of using my Moog FreqBox ith only 10% wet signal.

I'll be claiming from the courier but not sure its going to go anywhere so prob looking at a new driver from EBS… but before I do that, anyone else experienced anything similar?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1087903' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:03 PM']Its not my week with amps and cabs.

Received an EBS 410 today. It was fine when it left the sender and arrived with me with an odd issue

The top right of the 4 drivers has a strange overdrive to it… At first listen it sounds like a vibration, but on lower notes or with the volume turned up its like having an overdrive pedal with a blend and letting about 10% fuzz through…

I have checked everything is tight and am certain it is not a vibration. I've also taken the driver out and there is no noticeable damage it physically.

Unlike normal damaged speakers this driver is letting the full original signal though, but as an extra layer there is this very feint fuzz. Putting you ear up to each driver in turn reveals the sound is coming from just this one. I imagine many people wouldn't even notice it in a rock band setting, but its definitely there. When you sustain a note and it starts to trail off it almost sounds as though that fuzz layer is shifting in pitch or phasing… its hard to put my finger on it but reminds me of using my Moog FreqBox ith only 10% wet signal.

I'll be claiming from the courier but not sure its going to go anywhere so prob looking at a new driver from EBS… but before I do that, anyone else experienced anything similar?[/quote]

Good Grief!
You are having a run of bad luck - have you considered taking up playing the triangle instead? :)

There's a few places the noise could be coming from:

1) Is the grille rattling (take it off if you're not certain).

2) Not sure how these are wired internally but it may be worth checking to make sure that the cables to the speaker (and at the crossover end - if there is one) are secured and have good solder joints (assuming they're soldered of course!).

3) Take the driver out of the cab and lay it on its back (so the cone is facing you). Gently place a little food plate on the cone. Put your finger in the middle of the plate and very gently push down. If you hear (or feel) any grating then it means the voice coil has been damaged. If that's the case then a recone usually works out cheaper than replacing a premium driver.

Another thing to check is the flexible wiring between the chassis of the speaker and the cone. Sometimes they are situated at such an angle where they rattle when the cone is moving. Gently move the two wires where they connect to the terminal post or tag strip by about 3 - 4mm and see if this resolves the problem.

A good test is to roll all of the treble response off both on the bass and amp and play an open E string at a fairly low volume (at a similar level that you use in the house if you were practicing). This usually accentuates these sorts of vibration problems and makes them easier to work on.

[quote name='whizzzy' post='1087990' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:56 PM']Another thing to check is the flexible wiring between the chassis of the speaker and the cone. Sometimes they are situated at such an angle where they rattle when the cone is moving. Gently move the two wires where they connect to the terminal post or tag strip by about 3 - 4mm and see if this resolves the problem.[/quote]

Either my ears have just heard enough bass today or thats worked!

Certainly seems to of stopped. I'll keep an eye on it though for a couple days.

Cheers folks!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1088032' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:12 PM']Either my ears have just heard enough bass today or thats worked!

Certainly seems to of stopped. I'll keep an eye on it though for a couple days.

Cheers folks![/quote]
Hi there,
I know this is well after you posted this thread but tell me, is the problem still sorted?
I have exactly the same prob. with an Eminence neo 10" driver. I was all set to recone. However the wires to the tagstrip are almost straight, no slack. Were yours like that or not. I have packed the driver away until I get back to UK but I am interested to hear you comments.

Best regards,
B.Flat

[quote name='stevie' post='1345819' date='Aug 19 2011, 08:38 PM']That sounds like a manufacturing fault, but it's easy enough to fix if you have a soldering iron and there is enough lead-out wire available to put some slack back in it.[/quote]
I have decided that the leadout wires are not at fault, but I don't know what is! There is no grating or resistance when I depress the cone. Could it be a mfg. fault? If so I am screwed as though the driver is new & unused I have had it in stock for about two years, maybe a bit longer, and I do not think Eminence do the CA2010 with a plain aluminium cone now, they all seem to be blue