Why become a member? ×

Inspiration sought for AC/DC-Floyd-Hendrix mashup

ras52

I've just hooked up with a couple of guitarists/writers for a project. One guy is in the AC/DC, Def Leppard tradition (not an area I've followed) and the other guy is more Pink Floyd-y. The drummer (also new last night like myself) thought it was predominantly a Hendrix/Floyd vibe, and he was adding in a more contempory (slighly funkier) drumming style.

Now, I've spent the last few months getting back into practise after a two-decade layoff and am have a bit of catching up to do. The guitarists are just overyjoyed to have a drummer and bass player and so are happy with whatever I'm doing... but I'm not. It's the "straight ahead" rock aspect that I'm least experienced/inspired/happy with.

Do you erudite folks have some listening recommendations that might inspire me to create suitable basslines for this setup?

Cheers!

A good band to check for the straight-ahead rock type stuff is Buckcherry.

Its not the most interesting bass style to play, but have a listen and think as to where you could put fills/runs, and also ask yourself if the songs would benefit from this, or whether the additions would over-complicate them.

Think the other thing is with this, is lock in with your drummer. Play the straight ahead stuff and let him/her find their style with the music you`re all playing, then shift your bass to tightly lock in with what the drums are doing, that way the rhythm section will still be as one.