Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got me a head, now I need a cab...

Jono Bolton

The other day I got an Ashdown ABM 300 head from Jay249 on here, but I don't have a cab for it. I've been looking at getting a MAG 210-T, I've used these cabs before but with a MAG head. Will it work with the ABM head? I know the ABM is 325W @ 4ohms, and the Soundslive.co.uk blurb say the cab is 200W @ 8ohms. Will these two be compatible? Or will something blow? I've a vague knowledge of amps/cabs/resistance, and I know that putting the head through the 8ohm cab means the head won't run at full power. If at a later date I get another MAG cab, will they cope if the head is 325W and both cabs are 200W? Does that mean my cabs will have a power handling of 400W?

EDIT: I know that someone on here has a similar set up, think it might be Machines.

Edited by jono b

To sum up, yes.

The head will be outputting roughtl 2/3rd's when connected to a single 8 ohm cab.

So as long as you don't run the output at more than 90% with a single cab it shouldn't blow up the drivers.

And yes, two 200w 8 ohm cabs running together present a 4ohm load and will share the 325 evenly between them, meaning each cab gets 162.5 watts, but yes another way of putting it is that together they could handle the 400w between them.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and further clarification can be had in the stickies.

Jono,as far as i am aware the head will put out between 180-200 watts just connected to one 8ohm cab,and the full 325watts connected to two 8ohm(4ohm together)....the two cabs will be able to handle 400watts so can take the power of your head....i am sure somebody more technical than me will confirm this :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='125144' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:49 PM']Does it make much difference?

OBBM on this here forum will whip you up really high quality leads for a stupidly low price depending on what you need.[/quote]

Yes. If I've got the head and the cab I'd like to have something to connect them together. At the minute I've got 2 jack to jacks and 1 patch cable for connecting my bass to to the amp through my 2 pedals, but the amp isn't going to work without a cable connecting the head to the cabinet is it?

The whole point of speakon connectors is to stop numptys connecting high power amps to cabs with normal insrument leads.

Good quality jack to jack speaker leads (a la OBBM) won't sound any different from speakons (I reckon) but speakons are the standard connectors in PA circles.