Why become a member? ×

Active EMG's on a Fender P

Spike Vincent

My orginal 78 Fender Precision is finally getting some well deserved TLC after 20 years of hard work.It has a slightly misaligned bridge which puts the E string over one of the poles on the pickup which makes the E louder than the other strings. (Not an inherant problem for my style of playing...) I had a similar problem with my Tokai P which I dealt with by replacing the pickups with passive EMG's with bar magnets.I'm considering the same route with the Fender,but I'm wary of altering what has become a vintage instrument.I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience of active EMG's on a Fender? Is it worth doing?

I own a Fender Jazz deluxe US. The first mod I did was to replace the defective Fender active PUs and preamp , both with EMG.
The result was great for slapping which I did a lot at the time. The I got tired of the super crystal clear tone after years of use. I never got a decent growl out of the bass.
I sold the EMGs PUs , kept the EMG preamp and installed a pay of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II.
I can still get a great slap tone, but I got back into Fender growl territory.
I found EMG to be too clean, and love the dirt I got back with the Antiquity.

Cheers, Arnaud

Just a quick check - are you sure it is a misaligned bridge. My 77 precision appeared to have this problem from new. I wrote (the old days) and complained to Fender UK about this (and the lack of screening) and got a letter & service booklet back. The cure was; loosen strings, loosen neck screws and tap headstock the appropriate way with palm (probably upwards towards upper body horn). Retighten neck screws, retune & it was sorted. Might or might not be the case with your bass, if it is the case, it is a cheap fix :)

My early 90s strat has the misaligned neck pickup polepiece problem, as do all the others of that era, Fender changed the bridge to 2 post with wider saddles,with cost cutting by not changing pickup polepiece position and covers :) Shame, it irritated me beyond belief on what is an otherwise well built guitar - now sorted with new pickups - at my expense.

edited for spelling & improved explanation

Edited by 3below

Replacing the bridge with something which allows lateral string adjustment per saddle would work. Direct replacements which shouldn't require modifications to your bass would be the Schaller 3-D (uses the 2 outer screw holes and the middle one) and the Hipshot A-style (Fender Mount), a Badass II with slotted saddles or a vintage Fender one with the threaded saddles.

Remember to keep the original bridge - cockeyed though it seems, the vintage crowd will prefer a wonky original bridge over a functionally superior replacement.

Or if it is not the neck alignment, try some of these grooved saddles - cheap & cheerful.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPIRAL-SADDLES-FENDER-BASSES-/320639962920?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4aa7a18f28"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPIRAL-SADDLES-FENDE...=item4aa7a18f28[/url]