Why become a member? ×

Jazz pickup position relative to bridge

Max Normal

Hi there, I'm building an E-P-J at the moment (precision body, EB (model one) pickup at the neck, Precision split pickup at the standard position and Jazz pickup on the bridge position).

I'm going to rout the cavity for the Jazz bridge pickup next, but I'm not sure of the optimal position for the pickup.

Could anybody tell me where I can find out, or measure their Jazz or PJ tell me where i should put it? I'm not using a standard Fender bridge, but I am using standard Fender mounting holes, so I guess a measurement from the centre of the bridge screws to the longditudinal centre of the pickup would be good, or distance from the precision pickup might work if you have a PJ.

Thanks!

I can't remember the actual distances, but the position actually differs on Fenders.

70s Js have the pickup closer to the bridge than other years. I have no idea why they moved the pickup in the 70s but the position closer to the bridge certainly makes the tone more "burpy" to my ears, and also makes the string tension noticeably tighter if you play over the back pickup as I tend to do.

I realise that doesn't answer your question!

Ok, thanks guys.

New question then: Can anybody tell me using the distance from the 20th fret centre to the centre of the pickup, what is (in their opinion) the best position for a jazz bridge pickup on a PJ configuration?

:)

I'm using the Jazz pickup at the neck to dial in a bit of top-end to my P-bass tone, not necessarily to replicate a classic jazz sound. The crappy Aria Aerodyne PJ copy thing that I use to learn songs at concert pitch (I gig detuned), has it at 8 1/2", does this sound about right? If you have a real PJ or a nice sounding Jazz, I'd love to hear from you!

Edited by Max Normal

[quote name='Max Normal' post='1084368' date='Jan 10 2011, 03:40 PM']Ok, thanks guys.

New question then: Can anybody tell me using the distance from the 20th fret centre to the centre of the pickup?[/quote]

Answer = 216mm on my Frank Bello sig, P/J configuration.

Edit: 8 1/2" in old money :)

Edited by KiOgon