Why become a member? ×

Lowfreque

Looking forward to joining the forum. Only recently taken up the bass at 56 having started to feel the effects of older age with 6 string LP and enjoying a jam with my nephew's bass. Bought a Squier Jazz Bass and (after consultation with Line 6) feed it through my 30W Spider II with no ill effects so far. Opens up a new world listening for the basslines. Watts-Roy, Entwistle much enjoyed. Heard a great bassline around 06:30 on Planet Rock this Saturday but couldn't get readout of band or title - chorus involved "Rivers running dry" - anyone got any ideas?
Regards to all

[quote name='Lowfreque' post='123815' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:14 PM']Looking forward to joining the forum. Only recently taken up the bass at 56 having started to feel the effects of older age with 6 string LP and enjoying a jam with my nephew's bass. Bought a Squier Jazz Bass and (after consultation with Line 6) feed it through my 30W Spider II with no ill effects so far. Opens up a new world listening for the basslines. Watts-Roy, Entwistle much enjoyed. Heard a great bassline around 06:30 on Planet Rock this Saturday but couldn't get readout of band or title - chorus involved "Rivers running dry" - anyone got any ideas?
Regards to all[/quote]

its never to late to learn!
welcome to the forums

Dan

[quote name='Lowfreque' post='123815' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:14 PM']Looking forward to joining the forum. Only recently taken up the bass at 56 having started to feel the effects of older age with 6 string LP and enjoying a jam with my nephew's bass. Bought a Squier Jazz Bass and (after consultation with Line 6) feed it through my 30W Spider II with no ill effects so far. Opens up a new world listening for the basslines. Watts-Roy, Entwistle much enjoyed. Heard a great bassline around 06:30 on Planet Rock this Saturday but couldn't get readout of band or title - chorus involved "Rivers running dry" - anyone got any ideas?
Regards to all[/quote]

Welcome,

Didn't listen to the track on Planet Rock, but maybe it was 'Rivers Running Dry' by the Norwegian band Sahg?

Anyway, have fun with the bass playing.

Mart

Edited by woodenshirt

Regards to all[/quote]

Welcome to the forums :)

lol that lyrics is in Feeder's "Dry" song, or possibly Don Williams..< don't know who he is.

or could just be sahg :huh:

Have fun playing bass!

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='123848' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:59 PM']Welcome,

Didn't listen to the track on Planet Rock, but maybe it was 'Rivers Running Dry' by the Norwegian band Sahg?

Anyway, have fun with the bass playing.

Mart[/quote]
Many thanks for your reply, listened to the first 30 second sample on a download site, didn't match, tried a few others, same result. Contacted DJ at Planet Rock who took the trouble to reply - turned out to be Rivers of Funk by Joe Walsh. Shows that there are some kind hearts on this site and in the music world in general. Have put 'There Goes The Neighbourhood' Joe Walsh on my to buy list as had only known the artist for 'Rocky Mountain Way' before.
Regards.

Welcome aboard,nice to have some more grown ups on the forum ! I think the song on Planet Rock was Rivers Run Dry - lyrics Roger Chapman of Family.
I also have 'the gift of time'(52) and took up the Bass from scratch in April, got my first warm up gig at an open mike next week.Having played a bit of acoustic guitar and keyboard over the years I just wish I had taken up Bass and playing in a band earlier.good luck with your playing - there are actually lots of mature players on the forum and loads of help and advice will come your way, if you care to ask. Below are the lyrics ....

Rivers Run Dry

Well 1 bin took, yes, I got hooked

Bin hung up down & out and that's tough

Yes I looked down on a dark street crying

I guess all of my

Rivers have run dry

I bin beat, that ain't so sweet

Bin shook up, picked up shaking for lying thief

Yes I spent nights where the sun don’t shine

I guess all of my

Rivers have run dry

Well there ain't no hungrier howl

Than an empty man with an empty smile

Got some hole in the wall

Just some hell where you're tired you fall

You can't tell the difference

Between night or day no more

Lookout

Oh there were times, that weren't so mean

I had a wife and a kids and a job and a money

In the pockets of my jeans

Now I’m alone got a mind to dying

I guess all of my

Rivers have run dry

All of my rivers run dry

words & music: Chapman

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='125595' date='Jan 22 2008, 05:51 PM']I also have 'the gift of time'(52) and took up the Bass from scratch in April[/quote]

*phew* we should start a club! Turning 52 next month! Back playing for the last 2 years after a 20 year break... why did I stop?

Welcome Lowfreq - just won't find a better bunch 'o people than around these here parts.

Shaun