Why become a member? ×

"Musicians" Block.

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys!

Here i something i think i would like some advice on, or at least to speak to someone about it!

I have been in the last few months had major problems writing music, not just writing whole riffs and such like but even writing simple basslines,

This hasn't always been the case, a few demos from older bands and to my ears and to others who have listened who are fans of the same kinds of music agree that it all works and even sounds good at times :)

I play almost entirely progressive metal, though i have a soft spot for jazzy solo bass work though all band work has been in the prog metal vein.

Though recently nothing seems to come to mind when i pickup the bass, and after a usually half an hour of unsuccesful "noodling" i tend to get a little disheartend and either play along to tunes on my ipod or just practise a little mechanically as this spell has also lead to me feeling slightly 'inadiquate' with my playing.

I have recently made a total switch from 4 and 5 strings to almost entirely playing a 6. I had played a six before but never owned one but have played in depth and played in a dream theater cover band for a week with one doing shows everyday (nothing big, opening for orginal bands or filling slots in a nights program)

I'm thinking positive and putting this down as a "phase", linked to possibly : Playing less metal, listening too much to a small group of artists, playing to many covers and play alongs at home instead of practising and focusing on writing, and maybe trying to run before i can walk as it were in the recent complete transition to the 6 string.

Also i haven't been in a band which felt "right" in a good while which i think may be a large factor also, aberdeen isn't really the largest metal scene around =S and the last band i was in which felt rather promising as the guitarist and i are into totally the same music but the drummer left as he decided metal wasn't his thing, then i felt our music wasn't prog or metal enough (not great for a prog metal band :) :lol: ) and he decided to join a paramour cover band so something which felt promising and good sort of fell apart...

Edit: Also found i've not been happy with my tone in the same time scope, adjusting to the new bass, though today i found something i liked tone wise and that really made me a bit more confident :D

Now i know this is more of a let out than a discussion thingy but i would like someones views and words and if anyone has been in a similar situation? (as i'm sure even Mozart may have suffered from "Musicians block"!)

I find bands a little hard to come by and get into at my age finding bands is a little hard especially in a city with a smaller music scene,

Any Views?
AC

NB
For reference for time scope i mean last 4/5/6 months and for age i'm sitting my Standard Grades (Gsces) in june and i've been in bands rather sporadically

Many Many thanks to anyone who took the time too read all of that :P

Edited by AttitudeCastle

A few things spring to mind here.

Playing an instrument that isn't producing the sound you are trying to achieve is always going to be disheartening.
You've had a few musical 'upsets' with bands recently (as have many others on here) and that can perhaps lead to feelings of doubt and a lack of musical direction/purpose.
I've always found that writing a bassline is easy [b]IF[/b] you have a tune to write it against - writing a bassline as a stand alone piece isn't quite so easy.
Don't let it get you down - you're still young and have many years of playing ahead of you.
Why not spend some quality time playing with your gear to get the sound you are looking for - perhaps that'll give you the kickstart you are looking for? :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1082476' date='Jan 8 2011, 07:20 PM']A few things spring to mind here.

Playing an instrument that isn't producing the sound you are trying to achieve is always going to be disheartening.
You've had a few musical 'upsets' with bands recently (as have many others on here) and that can perhaps lead to feelings of doubt and a lack of musical direction/purpose.
I've always found that writing a bassline is easy [b]IF[/b] you have a tune to write it against - writing a bassline as a stand alone piece isn't quite so easy.
Don't let it get you down - you're still young and have many years of playing ahead of you.
Why not spend some quality time playing with your gear to get the sound you are looking for - perhaps that'll give you the kickstart you are looking for? :)[/quote]

Thanks man :)

I think i'll start to focus and getting a tone that sounds right to me first :lol:

I've always thought when it comes to writing music. Listen to the music you like and want to write, and find the common thread between the bands and songs you like and use that as a spring board,

I still haven't found that thread yet but i will :D

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1082484' date='Jan 8 2011, 07:28 PM']...

I've always thought when it comes to writing music. Listen to the music you like and want to write, and find the common thread between the bands and songs you like and use that as a spring board,

...[/quote]

Listen to something from other genres and play along to stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Might add a different dimension to the way you think musically.

[quote name='TimR' post='1082810' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:12 AM']Listen to something from other genres and play along to stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Might add a different dimension to the way you think musically.[/quote]

Got to agree with Tim's advice - I tend to find that by listening to stuff I wouldn't normally listen to, I find things which I can use when I play/practice. I have used "Bad" by Michael Jackson and evolved into 2 or 3 riffs which you wouldn't immediately associated with the original - another is "Ride on Time" by Blackbox - really simple riff which can evolve in so many ways (octaves/ walking/passing tones/doubling up notes) - I know a number of players who listen to classical music for inspiration.

Another thing that strikes me from your thread is that you seem to have hit a "plateau" which is natural when learning to play any instrument. Maybe you should spend time with other musicians who play in a completely different style or also play another type of instrument, maybe keys or brass - I found that playing a saxophone made me think of other ways of constructing riffs other than squares and triangles.

In general you may want to broaden your listening database - emcompase as many styles as you can - most riffs and tunes are transferable. My favourite version of "smells like teen spirit" is by Paul Anka (Jazz stylee) which I'm sure Nirvana fans find quite repulsive.

Most of all don't get disillusioned and stick with it...

You're probably just trying to hard, if theres no rush to get the songs finished/recorded then dont force the lines. Just jam over rough recordings once or twice a day and the parts will come eventually.
+1 to listening to something different as the guys posted. I also find jamming over the track on the 'tele or an acoustic can bring out the odd idea.
Dont stress too much. It will pass eventually.