Why become a member? ×

'stereo' tube power amp?

GremlinAndy

I've been considering trying to get hold of not just one, but two aggie DB 728's.
The main offputting thing for me would be the sheer weight. (of course, that's if you ignore the unavailablity...)

So my thoughts got to ticking over, and I was wondering what the possibility of 2 all tube power-amps of "max" power output (jeez I dunno what that means. 400 each? more? ...discuss!) in one rack mount box might be.
Wouldn't have to be bridgeable... would it fit in a 3u rack? (or is that just funny?) and ideally it wouldn't need a forklift to move it... (oxymoron?) Yes that's right I want the moon on a stick. And the stick should be *another* moon. ...And each moon should be Suns.

It would be interesting to me to know if this would be feasable, cost effective/prohibitive?

It's just a thought process atm, but who knows... maybe it would be in demand in numbers as high as in excess of [i]almost[/i] one. (me)

Mind you I'm drinking vodka.... :)

Andy

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='123196' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:29 PM']I've been considering trying to get hold of not just one, but two aggie DB 728's.
The main offputting thing for me would be the sheer weight. (of course, that's if you ignore the unavailablity...)

So my thoughts got to ticking over, and I was wondering what the possibility of 2 all tube power-amps of "max" power output (jeez I dunno what that means. 400 each? more? ...discuss!) in one rack mount box might be.
Wouldn't have to be bridgeable... would it fit in a 3u rack? (or is that just funny?) and ideally it wouldn't need a forklift to move it... (oxymoron?) Yes that's right I want the moon on a stick. And the stick should be *another* moon. ...And each moon should be Suns.

It would be interesting to me to know if this would be feasable, cost effective/prohibitive?

It's just a thought process atm, but who knows... maybe it would be in demand in numbers as high as in excess of [i]almost[/i] one. (me)

Mind you I'm drinking vodka.... :)

Andy[/quote]

Two all tube 400W power amps in a 3U, no way!

But, might be able to do 2 400W Class D amps driven by 2 valve pre-amps and low power valve stages. Like a stereo version of my VTX-400-Bass.

Dave

Dave:
Heh heh Cheers buddy. I thought as much...
I was considering moving away from the incredibly convenient Digam 3002 amp I'm using, in favour of tubes, and just began dreaming of some kind of utopian solution...
I think it would have to be based on Dr Who technology though... ah well, it shall remain the stuff of whimsy then.

Lee-Man:
yeah I thought as much...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='123620' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:42 AM']Dave:
Heh heh Cheers buddy. I thought as much...
I was considering moving away from the incredibly convenient Digam 3002 amp I'm using, in favour of tubes, and just began dreaming of some kind of utopian solution...
I think it would have to be based on Dr Who technology though... ah well, it shall remain the stuff of whimsy then.

Lee-Man:
yeah I thought as much...[/quote]

You will regret selling the Powersoft. I say go for an all tube front end instead. I swear by D-Class! ;o)

Yeah mate you may well be right.
I've been gassing for tubes since I bought an Aguilar DB680 just before Xmas, ...because the sonic difference between the Aggie and all my previous pre's made me think that my lifetime reliance on SS, (or ss with single tube assistance) might have been a terrible mistake...

I fairness the sound I'm producing right now with the Aggie and Powersoft makes me nearly do a sex wee...
So you see, it's not that I'm unhappy, but my recent purchace made me wonder if there's *even more* I've been missing...

My first thought was, not towards selling my Powersoft, but certainly *trying* a tube power section instead. ...However looking around reveals that there's really not much by way of choice out there, unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='124010' date='Jan 20 2008, 06:10 PM']Yeah mate you may well be right.
I've been gassing for tubes since I bought an Aguilar DB680 just before Xmas, ...because the sonic difference between the Aggie and all my previous pre's made me think that my lifetime reliance on SS, (or ss with single tube assistance) might have been a terrible mistake...

I fairness the sound I'm producing right now with the Aggie and Powersoft makes me nearly do a sex wee...
So you see, it's not that I'm unhappy, but my recent purchace made me wonder if there's *even more* I've been missing...

My first thought was, not towards selling my Powersoft, but certainly *trying* a tube power section instead. ...However looking around reveals that there's really not much by way of choice out there, unless I'm missing something.[/quote]

Did you check out my VTX range?

The VTX-Bass has an all valve pre-amp plus a low wattage valve power stage that drives an output transformer and a dummy load. This signal is used to drive a 400W SS power stage in the VTX-400-Bass or provides line and DI out in VTX-Bass. So, it's a valve output stage tone that is produced.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DHA' post='124291' date='Jan 21 2008, 12:33 AM']Did you check out my VTX range?

The VTX-Bass has an all valve pre-amp plus a low wattage valve power stage that drives an output transformer and a dummy load. This signal is used to drive a 400W SS power stage in the VTX-400-Bass or provides line and DI out in VTX-Bass. So, it's a valve output stage tone that is produced.

Dave[/quote]

Thats an interseting concept mate, and one which I may well need to know more about (in practical terms) once my coffers are high again. It sounds like it might be just the ticket.

Thanks

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='134782' date='Feb 6 2008, 01:26 AM']Thats an interseting concept mate, and one which I may well need to know more about (in practical terms) once my coffers are high again. It sounds like it might be just the ticket.

Thanks[/quote]

The first few are out there now and reviews have and will be posted by the owners. I am just about to press the button on the PCB version which will mean we can make them a lot quicker.

Dave